Menu

Looking for ideas on playdates for 7-8yo girls that are not in the house..

housemouse

I hope it is ok to post here. I also posted on the chat board but also hoping for few ideas on this side as well.

So dd made a new friend and they seem to hit it off right away and now the bigger dilemma is the whole "let's have a playdate for the girls". I have nothing against getting together having girls play and become friends and just have fun, I just don't want it at my house for now. Right now I would consider them a perfect stranger and not comfortable in inviting them into my home just yet. I would love some ideas on what can we do that is still fun for the besides the usual park and something that would not be "we are bored" situation. This would be for 7-8 year old girls.

Thank you in advance.

Is the new friend in the neighborhood? In our experience, new neighborhood friends played outside together (in front yards or common areas) many times before they became "going to each other's house" kind of friends.

If you don't want playdates in your house OR yard, the park is probably the best option. Are you really worried they would be bored at the park? That was never a problem for my son and his friends.

To be honest I don't quite understand the hesitation to invite this new friend to your house, though. To me that seems like the most natural thing to do.

What about a local arts&craft place? It's hard for me to really picture how that would work, because whenever I've planned an activity for a playdate, the kids want nothing to do with it and would rather just do random things in the house.

I hate arranging playdates. My default for a new friend is to invite them to something we are already doing: library, skate rink, rock climbing, one of the many nature centers and preserves near us, zoo, beach, arboretum, children's museum, etc... (We are members of many of these and can get a few friends in for free.)

One time my dd met a friend and I had a weird vibe but invited them over anyway. The friend had a weird vibe and I just didn't invite them back. I ran into them three years later and the daughter was completely ruined, so to speak. She was fearful, very off very strange and the father had come along on the field trip to try to make the wife see that the daughter should attend social events and not go back to the car and sit there...idk the whole thing was super weird.

Anyway, I too do not invite kids to our home after one or two meetings, or their parents. So I get where you are coming from.

Some ideas:

Community pool

Bounce house center

Children's play museum

Water play area

Nature center/nature hike

When you go to the park bring things to do:

Bubbles

Toys such as my little pony, schleich

Hula hoops

Frisbee

Chalk (playground chalk)

Durable board games (made of plastic such as connect four)

Also keep play dates short - an hour and a half. Usuallu even without toys, kids can entertain themselves at the park for an hour. :)