Menu

Easy Grammar Plus users

atozmom

Did you finish this book in a year or take longer?

In order to finish it in a year, it looks like we would have to double up on lessons or skip some. I don't really want to double up on lessons. DS can only take so much grammar in one sitting. I am ok with skipping if I see that he has the concept mastered, but I'm just not sure that will happen enough times to finish the book next year. (We only do our curriculum 4 days a week, the 5th day he will attend a club with enrichment activities)  So I guess I'm wanting to hear from anyone who took longer than a year. lol 

ETA: DS will only be in 6th next year. I have looked through the concepts and think he will do fine with the level. Just thought I'd mention it though since we would be starting the book a year before it is "recommended".

Unless your ds is awesome at grammar, I wouldn't do Easy Grammar Plus with a 6th grader. It's recommended for jr high - adult. I looked at it for my dd and decided to use the Easy Grammar grade 6 book instead (she was 7th). She found it plenty challenging. We didn't quite finish the book, but I think I'll have her finish it before moving to the next level.

Thanks mamakelly, but I already own EGP and have looked through it. (I have the older version) I do think he can do it. Honestly it only covers a couple of things in each section that the sixth grade book does not. If we find those topics too difficult, we will skip those pages. 

Did you finish this book in a year or take longer?

In order to finish it in a year, it looks like we would have to double up on lessons or skip some. I don't really want to double up on lessons. DS can only take so much grammar in one sitting. I am ok with skipping if I see that he has the concept mastered, but I'm just not sure that will happen enough times to finish the book next year. (We only do our curriculum 4 days a week, the 5th day he will attend a club with enrichment activities)  So I guess I'm wanting to hear from anyone who took longer than a year. lol 

ETA: DS will only be in 6th next year. I have looked through the concepts and think he will do fine with the level. Just thought I'd mention it though since we would be starting the book a year before it is "recommended".

My dd did three pages a day, because I wanted to finish in a year (or less). I don't consider that "doubling up." :-)

We did not skip anything, ever. It isn't enough just to master something; that something has to be used and practiced until it's second nature.

• Like 1

It is hard to finish that book in a year!  It's like the size of a telephone book.  My oldest worked through EG Plus during the last school year and I was worried she might have to take it to college with her.  We did end up skipping some stuff (because we did NOT want to spend two years on it), but my daughter already had years of grammar (she did several levels of MCT, one year of Rod and Staff, one year of KISS grammar).  So, most of it was review.  I thought about buying the high school levels, but I think she's had enough grammar.    

Some of the pages were so easy, she did two or three in one sitting.  Most of the pages were taking my daughter literally 5 minutes to complete.   

My 7th grader is going to start EG Plus in August.  Not sure how he's going to be with it, yet...

Edited to add: I think after that year of trying to figure out KISS Grammar, *everything* looks easy.   :tongue_smilie:

We did it over 2 years. Why rush through it, especially with a 6th grader? (My youngest was also 6th when she started). I do think you have to do 2 pages or so a day to finish in a year, and I felt my kids' retention would be better if they had exposure to the same concept over more days. 

• Like 1

I felt my kids' retention would be better if they had exposure to the same concept over more days.

This. This is why I would rather take more time going through the book rather than doing two pages each day. I don't know why I never trust my gut and need reassurance from others, but thank you. 😊 we will take our time.

• Like 2