Menu

Do you have bible study for kids that you really like?

I'm really linear. I like my History in chronological order, and I like reading the Bible front to back. So that colors my answer here, but we've used God's Great Covenant and I really like it. We usually read the lesson in the book, then the relevant chapters from the Bible, then do an activity if we have one, answer the quiz questions, and then there's always a deeper, "how does this relate to your life" question.

A friend's kids thought it was horribly boring. *shrug*

We use God's Great Covenant.  I don't have them write in the workbook.  On the first day, I read the lesson from the teacher's manual and provide commentary/discussion if needed.  I like the teacher's notes for more background and theology discussion.  Then we spend a couple of days reading the lesson's assigned passages from the Bible.  I follow up with one more day for review, using the worksheets orally and giving all the kids a chance to answer the questions.  We don't do the scripture memory verses because my kids already have a program for that through church.  But there are a few chants to memorize things like the twelve tribes or the ten plagues, and the kids really enjoy learning those.  I really appreciate how the program emphasizes Jesus in the Old Testament.  

• Like 1

Oh, I get it.  I misinterpreted your title as you asking if anyone had Bible study for particular kids whom they really liked.  :tongue_smilie: Sorry.

And, to answer the question, I mostly had our kids read straight through their Bibles and listen to sermons every day (tapes, CD's, and finally MP3 downloads).  We studied some books on hermeneutics when most of them were older.  They really enjoyed those books, but that's probably not what you're thinking of?  Not sure about the ages of your dc, so can't say.

Thanks so much!

I'm really linear. I like my History in chronological order, and I like reading the Bible front to back. So that colors my answer here, but we've used God's Great Covenant and I really like it. We usually read the lesson in the book, then the relevant chapters from the Bible, then do an activity if we have one, answer the quiz questions, and then there's always a deeper, "how does this relate to your life" question.

A friend's kids thought it was horribly boring. *shrug*

Thanks!  I have not heard of God's Great Covenant before

For younger kids, I have really liked Leading Little Ones to God. There's a couple minor things I modify, but it has a well written passage on our beliefs, corresponding scripture passages, a hymn and a prayer. We start it every morning as our devo. My older son and I are enjoying the Apologia/Summit Bible series Who is God, etc. which covers the Biblical worldview. I am planning on GGC for later on.

• Like 1

We are really in love with Foundations. We're doing Foundations I this year, and there is so much to read and do for one week, that each week takes us 2-3 weeks to get through. It has bible readings, extra activities, notebooking, worksheets (optional), coloring pages (optional), bible drills, books of the bible memorization and extra bible readings for older students. I just love it and it's great for the little ones as well as for the bigger crowd.

We are going to use CLE for a couple subjects, I may add Bible

TRY it! It's chronological: if you get on in 2nd or 5th grade levels you can start at the beginning and go from there. You can always get on at different places though. The 5th and up sequence includes mapping (be still my heart). Not doctrinal or theological, more facts/cultural background based. Good stuff.

We used CLE for a year before I was brave enough to try their Bible. Lo and behold, it was what I'd been looking for for a LONG time.

• Like 1

With my younger child I am using Leading Little Ones to God and with my older child I am using The Bible Made Easy for Kids which links Old Testament stories to the New Testament. I do Bible Study with both my children, though my elder could quite easily read her book alone.

We are really in love with Foundations. We're doing Foundations I this year, and there is so much to read and do for one week, that each week takes us 2-3 weeks to get through. It has bible readings, extra activities, notebooking, worksheets (optional), coloring pages (optional), bible drills, books of the bible memorization and extra bible readings for older students. I just love it and it's great for the little ones as well as for the bigger crowd.

Does is feel like it is a ton of work?  It is easy to leave out the notebooking, bible drills and activities?  I love the idea of Foundations, but my kids already do memorization, bible drill etc. at AWANA. 

• Like 2

TRY it! It's chronological: if you get on in 2nd or 5th grade levels you can start at the beginning and go from there. You can always get on at different places though. The 5th and up sequence includes mapping (be still my heart). Not doctrinal or theological, more facts/cultural background based. Good stuff.

We used CLE for a year before I was brave enough to try their Bible. Lo and behold, it was what I'd been looking for for a LONG time.

Oh man that sounds exactly like what I've been looking for. We started CLE LA and math based on your recommendations on these forums and I LOVE them. Will have to try the Bible too!

• Like 1

Depends on age. I really like the Susan and Richie Hunt books for young ones (3-7ish) and am going to try an Explorer's Bible study with my fifth grader next year. My eighth grader is going to work through the Simply Charlotte Mason book, Life in the Word, I think it is called. It walks you through different types of Bible studies, the goal being that you can then do those types of studies on your own. I think it'll be really helpful as she moves into young adulthood. I might work through it myself, actually.

My kids have also really liked the Bible application lessons that have gone with Narnia this year.

I also love Leading Little Ones to God - that's what I use for kids 2nd grade and younger. 

From 8ish to 11-12 (years old) then I just had them read their Bible on their own and I didn't direct it at all. I just want them to form the habit of reading their Bible daily. If that means they read Revelation every day for a year, so be it. But, we also have family devotions and catechism in Morning Time, so they were getting teaching still.

My 12-year-old is just beginning The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study by Starr Meade, which walks a student through the entire Bible. It's not set up like a curriculum, so it's a little tricky to plan out, but I've just scheduled my son to work through it 30 minutes a day, and I'm anticipating it will take him 1 1/2 to 2 years to work through the entire Bible, reading the whole thing, learning about the background and corresponding history and internal connections, and answering some thoughtful questions. Here's more information about it: http://www.exodusbooks.com/details.aspx?id=56114&referral=nrjjsxbm

Does is feel like it is a ton of work?  It is easy to leave out the notebooking, bible drills and activities?  I love the idea of Foundations, but my kids already do memorization, bible drill etc. at AWANA. 

Yes, you can skip whatever you want. I usually skip the extra activities and we only do one of the Calvary worksheets. Some days I only do the bible reading.