Menu

AOPS Geometry Videos

DS 12 started AOPS Introductory Geometry last week and is enjoying it so far. One thing that he is missing are the videos that he used with AOPS Algebra and C&P courses before. In checking with AOPS folks, there is no definitive time frame for those videos.

Has anyone paired the AOPS chapters/ class with videos from other sources (Khan academy etc)? Would love any suggestions for videos that could accompany the AOPS geometry course.

OP:  Slight sidetrack.  Does AoPS have an actual plan to continue the video series but there is no release date, or is the plan to make further videos less than definitive?  My DD loved the Intro to Algebra A course, but she relied heavily on the videos.  I am struggling with whether or not I should let her continue with AoPS or just jump ship now to find a more long-term math option. (I send an email question to AoPS on this very subject a couple of weeks ago, but I never received a reply.)

• Like 1

OP:  Slight sidetrack.  Does AoPS have an actual plan to continue the video series but there is no release date, or is the plan to make further videos less than definitive?  My DD loved the Intro to Algebra A course, but she relied heavily on the videos.  I am struggling with whether or not I should let her continue with AoPS or just jump ship now to find a more long-term math option. (I send an email question to AoPS on this very subject a couple of weeks ago, but I never received a reply.)

I did ask this question on one of the AOPS math jams and was told that while they would like to do the videos but they did not have a definitive time frame for releasing the videos. I think the problem is that only Richard ( founder of AOPS) does the videos and there mght be some bandwidth issues :)

For folks who have used other Geometry courses, which one's have you found to have the most useful supporting videos?

• Like 1

I've never used any geometry vidoes and I'm taking my third student through AoPS geometry right now.

Really encouraged by that. DS12 is on his third week and so far so good. He has needed very little help but am prepared that might change :)

Since you have been through this two times already, does it progressively get harder through the course? Any advise/ recommendations would be useful. This is his 4th AOPS course. 

Really encouraged by that. DS12 is on his third week and so far so good. He has needed very little help but am prepared that might change :)

Since you have been through this two times already, does it progressively get harder through the course? Any advise/ recommendations would be useful. This is his 4th AOPS course. 

I'm not Julie, but I'm just starting geometry for the 2nd time.  I would make sure you review each of the triangle cevians as you learn them.  It gets overwhelming if you don't maintain the big picture about the properties of angle bisectors, perpendicular bisectors, medians and angle bisectors.   (Did I mention angle bisectors twice?)  

Make sure you review each one before learning the next cevian, and be able to roughly derive which circle (incircle?  circumcircle?) is determined by their intersection, or what helpful properties can be derived from each one (angle bisector th'm, connecting the medians).  Otherwise, you may end up the chapter like we did the first time: overwhelmed and unable to keep everything straight.  

But if you take it slowly and carefully, it should all fit together in your brain nicely!  

• Like 2

I'm not Julie, but I'm just starting geometry for the 2nd time.  I would make sure you review each of the triangle cevians as you learn them.  It gets overwhelming if you don't maintain the big picture about the properties of angle bisectors, perpendicular bisectors, medians and angle bisectors.   (Did I mention angle bisectors twice?)  

Make sure you review each one before learning the next cevian, and be able to roughly derive which circle (incircle?  circumcircle?) is determined by their intersection, or what helpful properties can be derived from each one (angle bisector th'm, connecting the medians).  Otherwise, you may end up the chapter like we did the first time: overwhelmed and unable to keep everything straight.  

But if you take it slowly and carefully, it should all fit together in your brain nicely!  

Thank you!! That is great help. Looking at the book and class schedule, it looks like cevians start at chapter 7. The class has chapter 7 broken into two classes which might be helpful in slowing down! We will see!

Plan to have DS take copious notes and work through problems in detail so that we have the concepts down.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is old, but for the record, I asked Richard this question in an email last spring and this was his response:

Greetings,

Unfortunately, I don't have much time to get into the studio these days.  I'd like to get to the Intro Geometry book, but it will likely be a very long time before I'm able to.

Sincerely,

Richard Rusczyk

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 11:20 AM, Art of Problem Solving <info@artofproblemsolving.com> wrote:

Do you plan to make videos to support the Geometry text? Thank you!

• Like 4

Be heartened that when you get to a really hard chapter it doesn't continue to get harder and harder. You'll be working along thinking how can I keep up this pace and then an easier chapter comes along.

I find that chapter 7 with all the triangle stuff mentioned above is a really hard chapter. I just flag the review of that chapter as we turn back to it over and over. I also find the chapter on power of a point difficult - mostly because it uses so much from chapter 7.

• Like 2

Be heartened that when you get to a really hard chapter it doesn't continue to get harder and harder. You'll be working along thinking how can I keep up this pace and then an easier chapter comes along.

I find that chapter 7 with all the triangle stuff mentioned above is a really hard chapter. I just flag the review of that chapter as we turn back to it over and over. I also find the chapter on power of a point difficult - mostly because it uses so much from chapter 7.

Thank you for the pointers!! We just got past chapter 7 and DS struggled with it for sure though he was able to get the homework and challenge problems done!! We are enjoying some relief in Quadrilaterals this week! It is great to know that we have potential trouble 5 chapters down. Will keep an eye for it. I like your suggestion of flagging these chapters for review in the future.

• Like 1

I know this thread is old, but for the record, I asked Richard this question in an email last spring and this was his response:

Greetings,

Unfortunately, I don't have much time to get into the studio these days.  I'd like to get to the Intro Geometry book, but it will likely be a very long time before I'm able to.

Sincerely,

Richard Rusczyk

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 11:20 AM, Art of Problem Solving <[email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>> wrote:

Do you plan to make videos to support the Geometry text? Thank you!

Thanks for checking it with AOPS. I got a similar response from him on one of the math jams. Interestingly he has done some videos on Geometry in mathcount minis:

http://www.mathcounts.org/resources/video-library/mathcounts-minis?page=1

See Mini # 43 for example on similarity in traingles

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Quick update on our progress - DS 12 is finishing up AOPS geometry this week. It has been an interesting ride with its ups and downs but definitely worth all the struggles. We are finishing on a strong note with DS  turning all Alcumus topics blue, solving all review and challenge questions in the book besides the homework. Proofs were challenging for DS and he got stronger in those as well as the course progressed. He also started Algebra B in October so it was challenging to do two courses at the same time!

Thanks for all the guidance and support!

Edited by Mozwo
  • Like 5