Menu

Chicago safety at night

Legomom

My 15 year old son and I have the opportunity to see the ballet in Chicago this week at the Auditorium Theatre. I am wondering if it would be safe to take the metro/subway at around 10pm at night after the performance. We would need to walk a a couple of blocks to get on the subway. I would love any thoughts on this!

I think it would be safe enough. I walked at 2 am on Wacker Drive and wasn't bothered by anyone. I think if you walk with purpose toward your destination, keep aware of your surroundings, stay on lit streets and don't look like you're a tourist, you'll be fine. 

(I should clarify that I was going from a friend's hotel to my hotel--I wasn't simply walking the streets!)

• Like 3

By subway, do you mean the CTA? The CTA Red Line or some other line?

The CTA and Metra trains are different. The CTA trains travel mostly within the city with a few exceptions whereas the Metra trains travel mostly from suburbs to the city.

Where will you travel to from the Auditorium Theater, if you don't mind my asking? That could help in deciding safety. :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the information! It looks like we would take the CTA red line. We are staying in Schaumburg so my husband would drive to the nearest stop to the hotel. I am not sure which one it would be yet.

We are also going to a Cubs game tomorrow and we are wondering what the parking is like at Wrigley. My husband has clients in Chicago so he has experience with the expensive parking in downtown Chicago, but is wondering how crowded it will be.

We like walking in downtown Chicago at night, but I always feel safer walking with a friend!

Watch for traffic advisories if you decide to drive into town tomorrow; there have been flooded underpasses.

Google for parking around Wrigley Field. If you prepay online, you can often get a better price (and the promise of an open space). Then you aren't stuck driving around looking for something. FWIW, my hubby grew up near Schaumberg and would park near an El stop and and then take it into town.

Emily

• Like 1

The walk from the Auditorium Theatre to Union Station can be a little iffy in parts especially later at night. But I used to work down there (Jackson and Michigan Avenue) in the late 80s and 90s and crime was probably worse then that it is now. My company used to make us take cabs if we were there after 7 pm. Anyway, a cab to Union Station would be fairly easy to catch and not cost much more than the two fares you'd pay for the CTA train or bus.

Ultimately you want to go to Union Station to catch the (very safe) Metra train going to Schaumburg. The weekends have different departures than the weekdays, just so you know.

http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/maps_schedules/metra_system_map/md-w/station.schaum.html

ETA: It looks like you could take the CTA Blue Line but I'm not sure. I live in a northern 'burb and take the CTA Purple or Red Line. Here's a link to TripAdvisor where some posters are discussing how to take the Blue Line into the city. It looks like they catch it at the Cumberland stop.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g35805-i32-k1547556-Schaumburg_to_chicago_via_cta-Chicago_Illinois.html

Meh. Take the Metra. Much nicer. Bathrooms, too!  :)

• Like 1