Menu

Like "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat"...

... but at a lower reading level? This is the type of book that my daughter would drool over, and I need ways to beef up her Biology for next year, but I do *not* have time to read through her science literature with her. I'll already be buddy-reading with her through her regular reading/phonics/literature programs, and helping her read through her actual science text (and probably her history text as well), and I'll be juggling a first grader (dyslexic as well) as well as the toddler.

Is there ANYTHING out there that is LIKE Oliver Sacks' books, but at a bit of a lower reading level?

ETA: DD is dyslexic. She will be 14 in August, in 9th grade, and I would say reads comfortably at about an 8th grade level... but it's the "older language" in the Sacks' books that would frustrate her (and the small text, I would suspect). While she can easily read something like, say, the Harry Potter series (modern language used), books that she wants to read, but can't (like the HG Wells books), only frustrate her.

• Like 1

My Ds, also turning 14 this summer (July) also Dyslexic but reads at only a grade or two lower still has an amazing amount of trouble with particular books(not the words themselves, kid has wide range of vocab, but the way the sentences are put together).  Anyway, no books to suggest but there is an audible version of the one you referenced.

ETA: funny, I was typing when you posted. 

• Like 1

Is it the medical part she is interested in or the neuroscience? 

If she likes the neuroscience part, Harold Klawans is another neurologist who writes a lot like Sacks. 

If she likes medical detective kind of books I highly recommend The Medical Detectives by Bernard LaRouche. The Deadly Dinner Party by Jonathan Edlow is a modern version. 

Here is a link on my blog to other medicine themed books that I have enjoyed: https://supratentorial.wordpress.com/2013/04/23/the-deadly-dinner-party-and-some-other-books/ I normally don't link to my blog because I know it can be annoying but it's a long list. 

• Like 1