Menu

Speeches

TeacherZee

I could do with some help (and I figure that if there is any place to ask this question it is here)

I have a new job in the fall and I will be teaching a class in rhetoric (speech), which I have never done before. I would love your input on the best speeches out there. If there are sound or video recordings of them, even better.

Thanks

Were you given a course outline of what you're expected to teach? My high school required a year of speech and we didn't study other speeches, though I see how that can be beneficial. We mostly gave speeches of various types--prepared speeches, extemporaneous, dramatic, debate, etc. We did camera work for one unit so we could see how we looked/sounded. We also studied vocab and worked on pronunciation.

Just thought I'd throw that out in case you need ideas. Good luck with your course!

• Like 1

Will you use Lend Me Your Ears by William Saffire? I think that would be a good place to start.

many of modern political etc speeches are on youtube. I was watching some of JFK's summer 1963 speeches recently (after CBC piqued my interest with a radio documentary about them...)

• Like 1

You might look at the list used in the Great Courses lectures:  The Art of Public Speaking

When my kids took a speech class a few years ago, some of the speeches they listened to were Reagan's Berlin Wall speech, JFK's We Choose to Go to the Moon, something by Margaret Thatcher (can't remember), MLK's I Have a Dream, one of Churchill's WWII speeches, Henry V's Crispin's Day speech (courtesy of W. Shakespeare). 

• Like 1

Some of my favorite speeches have to be read since they were before audio. Some speeches, like the Gettysburg Address, are excellent when read but went over like a lead balloon when given. 

Ain't I a Woman, by Sojourner Truth was an extemporaneous speech and goes down as a great.

Here's a list of noted American speeches. 

For excellent examples of student speeches, I would suggest googling NCFCA you tube (and maybe add in Nationals) and you'll get many winning speeches in various categories given by students. There are lots of really good examples -- some super funny and many moving. Enjoy!

P.S.

:confused1: