Menu

Did you buy/use the Writing with Ease instructor text?

EKT

I never bought the WWE instructor text because we're on a budget and a homeschooling friend originally told me I didn't need it if I was using the workbooks. So, thus far, we have just been happily using the workbooks (my oldest is currently finishing up WWE Level 2.) After reading here a bit, I know some people are apparently on the fence about WWE Level 3, so now I'm curious if I should go with the instructor text instead and create my own lessons for Level 3? (Why don't some people like Level 3?) Mostly just curious what I'm missing with the instructor text. Thanks!

It's a summary of the workbook. I have it plus all the workbooks. I bought it first hoping to do copywork across other subjects. I bought the workbooks because I felt like I was not picking the right ones. Haha I'm ridiculous I know. But I like the open and go now. Level 3 is similar to 2. Just longer dictation with, imo, harder words. There is student copies of the story section for him to read himself this time. We will do 3 next year. I'm wishing that I didn't buy level 4 on damage because now I feel obligated to use it. It's just more of 3 it seems. Just a little harder. We will switch to cap writing for a break as soon as 3 is done. Come back to 4 to refresh if needed before wws.

The other problem I have with wwe wkbk is the big lines to write on. It makes my son's handwriting worse and slower. We are switching to comp books next year instead.

Bottom line, if you feel like your missing out, buy the text used.

• Like 2

I do own it, but I read it before we started using the program and I haven't used it much since.  I use the workbooks and love them.

If you go to Peace Hill Press, there used to be the introduction to the instructor's book online as a PDF. It is a sample of the book. I found that introduction to be very, very useful because it explains the philosophy of the WWE method.  It helped a few times when I saw what my kids' peers were doing in public school and it seems so much 'more' than what WWE was expecting. So, I found that to be extremely helpful at times, but not necessary.

The main purpose of the instructor's book is in case you don't want to buy the workbooks. You could buy the instructor's book and then find all your own stuff for narrations and dictations etc. In theory, that would be cheaper b/c you can use your own books and only buy the instructor's book once, instead of the workbooks.  However, I found the workbooks to be worth every single penny! I would never have done as good a job..but I know there are people here who don't like the workbooks and use the textbook. But I adore the 'open and go' aspect of the workbooks.

I have always used our own paper for the dictations etc. We have never used the student pages in the back of the workbooks except for reading, obviously. That way I have been able to use a full set of the workbooks for 2 kids and they still look beautiful. So, at least I only had to buy them once, lol.

Bottom line: not necessary unless you don't like the workbooks and want to put it all together yourself. Nice if you want to know more about the ideas behind it. But you might be able to read the most germane parts at Peace Hill Press

• Like 3

There is a hardcover book that covers the philosophy of WWE and how to do it yourself. There is no workbook component for this book.

Then, there are the student workbooks that have an instructors text that goes with each of them. For WWE 3, the instructor text that goes with WWE 3 specifically has instruction on how to help students pull main points out of their reading to summarize. So, a student has a reading for the week. Then, the instructor text walks you through exactly what questions you can ask them to help them recognize main points as opposed to non-essential detail. It also discussed various grammatical concepts, and other writing helps.

You can do the WWE levels without the instructors book, but I think the program definitely loses something without them. And, FWIW, I didn't have any problem with level 3:-)

• Like 2

I just have the instructor text not the workbook. This works for us as I just base it around the kids history textbook or whatever read aloud we're doing. I'd probably love the workbook too but have a small budget this year so most of it has gone for maths.

• Like 1

There is a hardcover book that covers the philosophy of WWE and how to do it yourself. There is no workbook component for this book.

Then, there are the student workbooks that have an instructors text that goes with each of them. For WWE 3, the instructor text that goes with WWE 3 specifically has instruction on how to help students pull main points out of their reading to summarize. So, a student has a reading for the week. Then, the instructor text walks you through exactly what questions you can ask them to help them recognize main points as opposed to non-essential detail. It also discussed various grammatical concepts, and other writing helps.

You can do the WWE levels without the instructors book, but I think the program definitely loses something without them. And, FWIW, I didn't have any problem with level 3:-)

I'm confused.  I know the hardcover book isn't connected to any workbook.  But I thought each level (except writing with skill) has the all in one student/instructor text.  Unless that is what you meant.

Sorry. I have been less than clear today... Just ask the kids, lol.

That is what I meant. Often I hear people get confused between what the hardcover book does and what the level specific instructor material does. That was what I was trying to clarify. Apparently, I just managed to make it muckier, lol.

• Like 1

The hardcover book was written first as a how to do writing book. It has everything you need for all 4 years. I picked up my copy at a used sale for $10. However, to make things easier, they came out with the workbooks for those who did not want to select their own writings. You don't need both. The instruction is in the hardcover book or in the beginning of the book, but having both is redundant.

I came up with my own for a while, and I like that flexibility, but sometimes I get bogged down in it. So next year, I am going to purchase the student pages download for when I don't want to come up with my own selections and print out what I want. There would be no need for me to buy the full workbook. If I had the workbook, there would be no need for me to buy the hardcover unless I didn't have all 4 years worth maybe.

• Like 1