Menu

Could someone compare Horizons Math and BJU Math?

Tonia

I think I've narrowed down my math choices to these two. I'm looking at these for kindergarten next year, but am hoping that whatever I choose will serve us well until we get to algebra.

What I would like -

1. Something that basically follows the national standards (we have to do assessment tests yearly)

2. Something that is more "hands-on" (or could easily be made more hands-on), using lots of concrete ideas and manipulatives in the younger grades

3. Something with fun, colorful worksheets

4. Something with a good amount of review built in

5. Something that is easy for the teacher to use

6. Something with a good teacher's manual with specifics on what to work on when (I am so not a math person and really need it spelled out for me)

I've looked at some samples of both and they seem about equal from what I can tell (not having seen them in person) but would like to know of any personal experience with them. If the major difference is just in the price, then I think we will go with horizons :rolleyes:

It really depends on your kid. Horizons has more topics per lesson - like time and addition in the same worksheet. BJU has one topic per lesson - like 9's strategy addition then a review section with easier addition problems.

Horizons seems like it would be fun and I thought my dd would love the variety of problems in each lesson. However she was confused by it. For her, the focus on one topic per lesson with BJU was exactly what she needed. It also has optional workbooks with extra practice and with additional thinking problems. It seems to approach each topic from multiple points of view and has plenty of review, but not an excruciating number of problems.

I think they are both great. It just depends on your kid.

If I could suggest, I would do RightStart for a year or two and then switch over to BJU. RightStart is SO much fun at the K5 level and develops an amazing sense of place value and math. Although normally you don't want to jump around with math curricula, they are so close conceptually that you can jump from RS to BJU, no problem. Check out all the great manipulatives RS uses and compare it to what you'd be using with BJU. RS is so easy to implement, so fun with the games. I highly recommend it to you! I'm doing BJU with my dd now, the 4th grade book, and it's good too. I just prefer the way RS develops those early concepts.

As far as Horizons vs. BJU, well they're totally different. Horizons is spiral and dribbles in a little new while continuing to repeat OVER AND OVER the old stuff. BJU is going to cover something and then move on to something else. They have extra workbooks at a variety of levels (remedial, extra practice, challenging problems, spiral review/fact drill), so you can tailor the amount to what your dc needs. They're going to focus on the concepts and why's all the way through. They're going to break down word problems into steps and consistently include them.

BTW, if you need more persuasion on the BJU, go to http://www.hightestscores.com But like I said, I'd do RS first, then switch over.

If I could suggest, I would do RightStart for a year or two and then switch over to BJU. RightStart is SO much fun at the K5 level and develops an amazing sense of place value and math. Although normally you don't want to jump around with math curricula, they are so close conceptually that you can jump from RS to BJU, no problem. Check out all the great manipulatives RS uses and compare it to what you'd be using with BJU. RS is so easy to implement, so fun with the games. I highly recommend it to you! I'm doing BJU with my dd now, the 4th grade book, and it's good too. I just prefer the way RS develops those early concepts.

As far as Horizons vs. BJU, well they're totally different. Horizons is spiral and dribbles in a little new while continuing to repeat OVER AND OVER the old stuff. BJU is going to cover something and then move on to something else. They have extra workbooks at a variety of levels (remedial, extra practice, challenging problems, spiral review/fact drill), so you can tailor the amount to what your dc needs. They're going to focus on the concepts and why's all the way through. They're going to break down word problems into steps and consistently include them.

BTW, if you need more persuasion on the BJU, go to http://www.hightestscores.com But like I said, I'd do RS first, then switch over.

Oh boy! I didn't want more programs to consider :p - I have looked at Right Start but I knew I wouldn't use it all the way through. I looked at the samples - if I were to choose it for a five year old (dd is four now, but I probably wouldn't start it until next year) would I start with level B? I've looked at A and it looks like something I could do now. Hmmm... or get A and start this summer and then do B?

So how many levels would I do before switching? Hmmm... new things to consider. ;)

I'll start by saying that I have not used BJUP. However, I have used Horizons for several years. What listed sounds like Horizons to me! I am not a math person either, and I find their TM very helpful in teaching new concepts. There is a good amount of review and it moves at a good pace for my kiddos. BJU has hotel displays at a local hotel several times a year. You can go and browse as long as you like. Maybe you could at least take a look at them if there is a display close enough.

Yes, you could do RS A now, RS B, then go into BJU. By the time you get through level B you've done 4 digit addition with carrying, 2 digit mental math, skip counting, and introduced fractions. At that point, at least for my dd, all the lightbulbs came on and everything else just flowed. I haven't used the BJUP K5 personally, but when I worked in a school using it, I saw a LOT of finger-counting, something I think is just unnecessary. With RS, you're not going to have that. Having been through the BJU K5 and 1st so many times, I saw in RS the things the BJU was trying to do that the teachers just didn't quite get and weren't quite communicating. I think RS just fleshes it out a bit better at those initial levels. In general, the approaches are SO similar conceptually that it's a very smooth transition. You could even do the BJU1 workbook alongside B if you wanted. I'm not saying you have to, just that you'll have no problem transitioning. RS A is so fun, that if your dd is ready for it, I say go for it!

I used Horizons math K-3, and I have used BJUP math for K, 6, and 7. What you are describing sounds more like BJUP to me.

1. BJUP hands-down on this one - see the site Elizabeth linked

2.-3. tied

4. slightly more Horizons, but you won't need as much as that, trust me

5.-6. definitely BJUP

Yes, you could do RS A now, RS B, then go into BJU. By the time you get through level B you've done 4 digit addition with carrying, 2 digit mental math, skip counting, and introduced fractions. At that point, at least for my dd, all the lightbulbs came on and everything else just flowed. I haven't used the BJUP K5 personally, but when I worked in a school using it, I saw a LOT of finger-counting, something I think is just unnecessary. With RS, you're not going to have that. Having been through the BJU K5 and 1st so many times, I saw in RS the things the BJU was trying to do that the teachers just didn't quite get and weren't quite communicating. I think RS just fleshes it out a bit better at those initial levels. In general, the approaches are SO similar conceptually that it's a very smooth transition. You could even do the BJU1 workbook alongside B if you wanted. I'm not saying you have to, just that you'll have no problem transitioning. RS A is so fun, that if your dd is ready for it, I say go for it!

I think I'm convinced ;) I think I will do Right Start and then switch to BJU like you suggest. I like that BJU has the extra review books in case we need them. That was my concern with horizons - having too much review and not really knowing what I should cut out. It's much easier to add things to it than to cut things out! And, like Karen said, I'm afraid my dd would be confused by too many topics at once.

Thanks for the help everyone! You've given me some things to consider! :)

Tonia, just wanted to agree with you. That's one thing I didn't like about our foray into Horizons, that it needed to be pruned and yet I wasn't sure how MUCH. With BJU, there is the student worktext, then 4 other optional workbooks:

-Reviews--This has spiral review on one side, fact drill on the other. Very worthwhile, doesn't take much time.

-Spread Your Wings--This is a remedial workbook, probably not useful for us.

-Spring Into Action--This is a repeat of the material from the lesson in the student text, giving more practice. My teacher friend assigns it as homework every day.

-Stretch Your Mind--Challenging application problems extending the topic of the day. I like these a lot and find them right-on for my dd.

If you don't have time to get Stretch done during the school year, you could do it during the summer. You can also see where something like Spring could be used over the summer as a transition from RS to BJU. BJU also makes their Vacation Stations workbooks that are grade-leveled to use over the summer to keep things fresh. It's just nice to have some options for exactly what you want. BTW, the optional workbooks are all b&w. Only the student worktext and the manipulatives are in color. The student worktext for BJU is SO adorable, so pleasant, it should make any visual dc very happy. I know my dd enjoys it. I had her work through the 3rd grade book quickly as a transition from RS D, and it's been so pleasant, with the national park theme, interesting trivia bits, coloring, codes, you name it. I don't think it bugs her that the extra pages are b&w because the main thing is so fun. Of course now that we're doing more division, she's not rejoicing, lol, but we'll get through that. :)

-Reviews--This has spiral review on one side, fact drill on the other. Very worthwhile, doesn't take much time.

-Spread Your Wings--This is a remedial workbook, probably not useful for us.

-Spring Into Action--This is a repeat of the material from the lesson in the student text, giving more practice. My teacher friend assigns it as homework every day.

-Stretch Your Mind--Challenging application problems extending the topic of the day. I like these a lot and find them right-on for my dd.

If you don't have time to get Stretch done during the school year, you could do it during the summer. You can also see where something like Spring could be used over the summer as a transition from RS to BJU. BJU also makes their Vacation Stations workbooks that are grade-leveled to use over the summer to keep things fresh. It's just nice to have some options for exactly what you want.

Thanks! This is very helpful! :)

If I could suggest, I would do RightStart for a year or two and then switch over to BJU. RightStart is SO much fun at the K5 level and develops an amazing sense of place value and math. Although normally you don't want to jump around with math curricula, they are so close conceptually that you can jump from RS to BJU, no problem.

Thanks, OhElizabeth. I remembered you commenting on this before and I wanted to track you down to get the details, but I am kind of new around here. So, I am glad to hear more about your transition. I love the looks of RS and BJU and cannot wait to follow your advise. I remember there were others who used this sequence, also.