Menu

Totally frivolous part 2 - Ikea chairs/couches

bethben

Are Ikea chairs and couches comfortable?  I like a firm seat with a decent cushion.  I don't like sinking into a chair .  I also don't want the thing to fall apart in less than 5 years.  I'm asking because the nearest IKEA is over an hour away.  Thanks!

I feel you on the drive, I do not live near an Ikea, it is a day trip to get to the nearest one. I am glad I went and sat on them instead of buying and having them shipped. It was very hit or miss if they were comfortable or not. Some were OK, others I no more than sat down before jumping back up due to discomfort.

• Like 1

I have to agree with Charon (I think that's the greek?)  - they are very hit or miss.

I've sat in things that were great - and others that aren't even tolerable.  that goes for a range of things, from dining chairs to leather upholstered pieces. (not sure any of it is actually *real* leather - it's pulverized leather scraps that have been poured out onto fabric to "make a cloth".  that stuff is hit or miss too. some will hold up - and others breaks up into tiny pieces and makes an enormous mess while leaving the upholstered piece with nothing but fabric backing.)

We have the Karlstad sofa and loveseat and the brown tweed-y slipcovers. It's about three years old and so far, so good. Cushions are still firm and no problems whatsoever.

We used to buy Room and Board couches but they didn't hold up too well after after a few years. The cushions broke down quickly and the fabric wore away, too.