Menu

Totally frivolous decorating question

bethben

I have a "formal" living room connected to a "formal" dining room.  We have put a rustic table into the dining room that we will use for homeschooling.  In true homeschool fashion, I have lined one wall of the "formal" living room with two pretty substantial bookshelves.  There is room for a small couch and comfy chair.  I really don't want to spend a ton of money for what I really just want to be a cozy reading room.  I thought about putting two papasan chairs there and being done, but I do want it to be "pretty" also.  I'd kinda like a space for myself also that stays relatively clean - away from kid clutter.  Anyone smarter than me in the decorating world have any ideas?  We have bought a sectional couch and dining table off of craigs list, but finding a couch that isn't totally beat up or really dark is proving elusive.  Help?

Papasan chairs take up a huge amount of space. You could get two Ektorp (IKEA) arm chairs with washable slipcovers and a cute ottoman from elsewhere (Pier 1, World Market, Target, recover a thrift find...). Put a table with a cute lamp between them.

There's another IKEA couch that has more mid century modern lines. I put a loveseat of it I n our reading room. I ordered wooden legs from Etsy to switch out the metal stubs, and it looks so much nicer. The name is escaping me... ETA: Karlstad! http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/spr/09875676/

Legs: https://www.etsy.com/shop/thirteencolonies?section_id=13651831 Just an example. I ordered from Uncle Bob's Workshop who doesn't have any listings currently.

What's your style? Are there any decorators/interior designers whose work you particularly admire?  You could identify that and then take a look at Pinterest.  Alternatively, you could post pics of what you have now so people could have a better idea of your style in order to make recommendations.