Menu

Coursera classes

We have not completed the written course work for these courses.

But here is what we've enjoyed going through as view, read assignments if any, and discuss.

How Things Work 1  (U of Virginia) both children have done/are doing this (starting at age 13)

DS has been through the following video lectures:

• Science of the Solar System (Caltech) 
  • Astrotech: The Science and Technology behind Astronomical Discovery (U of Edinburgh)
  • From the Big Bang to Dark Energy (U of Tokyo)

Currently working through:

• The Introduction to Mathematical Thinking
  • Shakespeare in the Community

About to start:

• Mechanics: Motion, Forces, Energy and Gravity, From Particles to Planets (U of New South Wales)
  • The French Revolution (U of Melbourne)

Dd has watched through  Pet Care, Intro to Vet Nursing, and History of the Horse (or similar) type course, but that was pre-highschool.   A high school aged student would get much more out of them; however, she enjoyed them immensely.

• Like 1

My then 14 year old took Astronomy: Exploring Time and Space.  He absolutely LOVED it!.  I don't know when it's going to come back around, but it shouldn't be missed.  On edx.org he's currently taking a Super Heroes class that he's loving as well, and features Stan Lee.  He's working on his final project for that one now.

We've been very happy with both Coursera and Ed.org.

My dc's have taken several classes over the past couple of years for certificates but have started way more. ;) That really is the wonderful thing about Coursera, they can try things that are reaches and succeed some of the time. I go through and mark classes on the wish list that have potential for either dc periodically so that I get emails when a new section is starting. That way I get notice a few weeks before and can see what our schedule actually looks like.

A couple that haven't been mentioned that are younger dc accessible is the python computer class from Rice and the dinosaur class from Alberta (I could be wrong about which university but Canadian). Dd also loved the Forensic Science from Singapore although I really didn't monitor that one so content wise can't say how appropriate for young dc's.