Menu

Exterior house paint--which brand(s) do you like best? least?

PrairieSong

We are getting ready to paint our house. Dh wants to go more cheaply. I want something that will last. I'm willing to pay more for better paint so it's not showing chipping or fading in a few short years.

I read some reviews that said SW Duration was the top pick by painters (it's quite pricey) with Behr paint (can't remember which one ATM) being number two.

Please share which brands have worked--or not worked--for you.

Ok, I will admit that we use the cheaper Wal Mart brand of paint.  We painted the exterior of our house about thirteen years ago with it and it has held up fine so far. 

We are in FL, so I don't really know anything about how harsher winter weather might affect paint. 

Ok, I will admit that we use the cheaper Wal Mart brand of paint. We painted the exterior of our house about thirteen years ago with it and it has held up fine so far.

We are in FL, so I don't really know anything about how harsher winter weather might affect paint.

I'm glad it's held up for you. We do have cold winters, so that's a consideration for us. I don't feel like we have to get the most expensive paint out there. I just want it to last.

I've not painted exterior, but I was very pleasantly surprised with the difference in quality when I finally splurged on Sherwin Williams interior paint.  I've usually used Lowe's or Home Depot mid-grade paint.  I bought a SW paint and loved it.  It went on well and covered well.  It is a good bit more expensive.  We just repainted another room and this time, I did go with a Lowe's paint due to price alone (a recent rebate sweetened the deal).  SW does have paint sales occasionally.