Menu

Lial Basic College Mathematics--what do I need?

Guest 4sundelta

Guest 4sundelta

I'm new to forums, so I apologize if this has been covered.  I'm considering Lial BCM after reading many positive reviews, but I'm not sure what exactly I need to purchase.  I've found the Pearson website to be more confusing than helpful.  Can someone please explain what texts (including ed), workbooks, CDs, etc. I need to purchase?  If you can also include ISBNs and where you purchased, I'd be very appreciative.  Thanks in advance.

I bought mine, 8th editions, online at abebooks.com. I purchased the text, solutions manual and instructional cd. The instructional cd seems to read verbatim from the text of the problems I looked at but I figured it would still be helpful.

We have not used them yet. Starting Monday.

I paid like 3 dollars a book plus shipping on abebooks.com... just make sure you read the book condition before you purchase. I also went ahead and purchased Introductory Algebra by Lial as well for my boys. I purchased for BCM: 2 texts, 1 solutions, 1 video cd, For IA: 2 texts and 1 solutions. Paid $33 including shipping for it all.

• Like 1

We use the student book and solutions manual for all the Lial's books. Older editions can be found easily for under $5. We used this one. Here is the solutions manual that matches.

I bought used copies that specified no writing. Sometimes I had to watch for a little while to find one at the price I wanted and the condition I wanted, but I used this series through Algebra 2 with both kids and bought Pre-Calc, although my kids switched to CC classes instead of using it.

• Like 1

It's possible, depending on your own math skills, that you could get by with just the BCM text book.

Regards,

Kareni

I found the textbook self explanatary. I used a few pages of it for review with my daughter before I did Pre Algebra but read through the whole thing. I bought an older edition. I passed it on to a frind, my son will not need any review after he finishes Singapore. He needs LA review, my daughter needs math review.

• Like 1