Menu

Archaeology study

My DD11 is really fascinated by Archaeology and wants to spend some time studying this topic.  i would like to think it might happen this summer when we aren't doing our usual stuff, but the way things are looking with camps/classes, a stack of new fiction books, spending time at the pool and hanging out with friends, I am not banking on it. 

She's really interested in learning more about what archaeologists do, how they work, how they find sites and how do they study the items they find there.  She likes reading about specific finds/sites, but we've been doing that at various points alongside our history studies already.

If we don't get to it this summer, I am trying to figure out where in our schedule we would fit it in.  I know it doesn't really matter what we "call" it, but for planning purposes and making sure we have a well rounded year, I am trying to figure out if this is more of a science study (looking at dating, excavating methods, search methods, etc) or more of a history/social sciences study (obviously studies of actual cultures/sites is more in line with history)...or enough of both that it really can't be classified as either.  I feel like we have a full plate of history plans already for next year and more wiggle room in science...but I don't want to call this "Science" if it isn't really.   Or maybe we would just take a few weeks off from both history and science to make room for this study.

Any thoughts?  Any interesting resources on archaeology to share?

When I was teaching middle school, I used to teach archaeology as a class since it was a good blend between hands on activities and more academic ones. And it was high interest.

I used to take readings from The Young Oxford Book of Archaeology, the Usborne Introduction to Archaeology, The Practical Archaeologist, and a book called Doorways in Time, which is little mini-essays about various achaeological finds. Also sometimes from National Geographic articles, which are a good resource for this topic.

Because I had a group, I used to do a lot of hands on activities with them - we'd do something where they had to "excavate" for pennies in buckets and reassemble pots and predict the shape of a pot from the shape of the sherd and figure out how a tool was used by another student from the markings on it. Anyway, it was always a fun course.

• Like 2

I was surprised to discover that my state (which no one thinks of as a hot-bed for archaeology) has a state archaeologist. It would be interesting to meet with someone like that who, by virtue of being on the state payroll, may feel that outreach is part off his/her job.

Personally I would have an easier time calling archaeology science than history..

• Like 1

Visit a dig! There are even some volunteers can join, though few for young kids. Also, my daughter liked "Dig" magazine when she was younger and "Archaeology" magazine now. And Check out "Time Team" on YouTube. It's a British TV show about archaeology.

• Like 2

I don't know where you are located, but my son participated in the "Do the Dig" archeology program with Prof. Geoff "Big Dog" Purcell for five years. We were in the New York area at the time, but I know some digs were held in NJ and perhaps CT or VT. It is a wonderful week long program for homeschoolers. The subject matter is different each dig (ancient Rome, Maya, Native American etc). The dig itself if simulated, Big Dog is an archeologist and has a large collection of artifacts and replicas that he buries in contextual strata which are excavated by the students. The morning consists of lecture and discussion. The afternoon of digging.

http://www.dothedig.net/

• Like 1

We've found a few local resources already.  Possibly a one day kids camp she might be able to attend, as well as the state archaeologist's website, archaeological society, etc.  I have also found a few neat places to visit.  The upcoming society meetings I saw on the schedule don't seem particularly kid-friendly (A lecture on native tobacco pipes found in our area, for example), but we're going to keep an eye on it to see what else they schedule.