Menu

HS activities near Outer Banks, NC

The play is pretty good. Maybe you did that on Roanoke Is?

I think just being on the sand and noticing and perhaps documenting plant and animal life is educational enough! You could learn about tide pools and dunes--

Oh--there are a lot of legends and things--Blackbeard was there, for example (not legendary exactly--more historical in his case). Could you research some of that?

We've always enjoyed the Lost Colony (linked above). There is also a behind-the-scenes tour you can take.

There is kayaking around Buxton, I think, and at Ocracoke. And of course there are the wild horses at Corolla and further south on Ocracoke.

I don't think there are tide pools there, though.

Have you been to the Wright Brothers Memorial in Kitty Hawk?

We always love Jockeys Ridge.  Kids adore playing on the dunes.  Bring your kites.

Ocracoke with the free ferry ride to and from is always fun.  British cemetery there is neat.  Nice shells, too.  The "Wild horses" are all penned up...very disappointing.

Shipwreck museum on Hattaras Island (right at ferry landing) is also a good find...think it might be free or donation to get in..

Was just in Avon in April...such a great vacation!

My mother's side of the family is from the Outer Banks. Pretty much, anyone you meet there who is a true local is related to me. :-)

My g-grandfather was the last civilian keeper at the lighthouse.

The Ocracoke ponies used to run free on the island; however, back in the 60s tourism had increased so much that the National Park Service decided it was in the ponies' best interest to keep them penned. My cousins and I used to routinely bring ponies back to the house hoping our mothers would let us adopt them, lol.

I'll be in Hatteras in July for a family reunion.