Menu

If you piece together your own literature based studies...

That's what I do... I make a table with the titles going across the top, for instance: textbook chapter, literature, documentaries and movies, art and music and cooking, essay topics. I just fill them in chronologically by row based around the textbook.

• Like 2

You could also just put them in order chronologically and read as much as you and your children want to read on a particular day.   If you feel like you are getting "ahead" of the textbook, take a break and read something just for fun, or look for more books at the library on that time period or topic.    If you feel like you are getting "behind" the textbook, either skip a book, set it aside for bedtime reading, or set it aside to read during the summer or during breaks (like those days right before Christmas when you are trying to take a break from school but your kids are bored and stir crazy and anxious all at the same time).

• Like 6

Ooh, all good ideas! Why didn't I post sooner?! I always think "Nah, that's silly--I should be able to figure it out" :001_rolleyes:

SebastianCat, that's really helpful! I'm getting a bit of a twitch right now because I have 10 "units" I want to cover in 18 weeks (we'll do a 6 week block of history & then a 6 week block of science), so I'm going to have to split the units up a bit more. I'm sure it will happen organically as we go along, but it makes the planning stage...more difficult.

• Like 2

I list each chapter of the core text(s) in a Word document.  I slot the supplemental readings and other materials under the appropriate chapter.

The chapter and supplemental material form a unit.  We read the chapter and supplemental materials, watch video or do activities and then move on to the next unit.  If I expect a supplemental resource to span multiple units, I note this in the file.

The file is easily edited.  New resources are added to future units as I come across them.  Resources I decide not use are deleted – these are usually titles that looked good in the library catalog, but not so good once I got my hands on them.  Sometimes resources are moved between units – library requests that came late, but I still want to use, for example.  At the end of the year, I print copies of the file for inclusion portfolios. 

• Like 2

Ooh, all good ideas! Why didn't I post sooner?! I always think "Nah, that's silly--I should be able to figure it out" :001_rolleyes:

it never occurred to me to post about this -- but I am doing something like this next year, too, and have been in a bit of a fog of confusion -- this is such a helpful thread! thanks OP!

• Like 1