Menu

Standardized Testing Vent...

One child knew almost everything on the test and was repeatedly urged to check the work before the time ended. The child finds testing frustrating, however and chose to be done. So, the test won't accurately reflect the child's knowledge, but is a reflection of the child's work effort when it comes to testing.

The same child scored perfectly on social studies and missed one on science (second-guessing the answer).

This was a science question:

Which backpack is best for school?

A-waterproof, padded straps

B-not waterproof, no padded straps

C-not waterproof, padded straps

D-waterproof, no padded straps

I would guess, based on my knowledge of standardized tests, C, but the answer chosen was A because backpacks are multi-use in my home. And the above question is why standardized tests are often ridiculous.

I test because it's good practice for the kids and DH likes to see the results, but it's always an exercise in frustration for me.

• Like 2

DD#2 missed several questions this year in one section because she doesn't know how to read a sports bracket. I think she got one that asked when certain teams played, but missed a question on which team had a bye & several others she didn't understand. DD#3 missed one that asked something about the best way to save the planet (er, 'save water') (not taking a shower everyday sounded like a great option for her). I just  :001_rolleyes:.

I would have picked A, too.

They really are ridiculous in some ways. Some of the questions on the tests I gave this year were so specific to the Midwest (That's right, I'm looking at you Iowa!) that I know my kids got the answer wrong. Where are you supposed to go during a tornado? Who the heck knows? We have earthquake and lahar drills, but not tornado drills.The only tornado my kids have ever seen is the one on the Wizard of Oz. :p

ETA: And I'm very grateful that we don't live in an area with tornadoes!

• Like 2

One child knew almost everything on the test and was repeatedly urged to check the work before the time ended. The child finds testing frustrating, however and chose to be done. So, the test won't accurately reflect the child's knowledge, but is a reflection of the child's work effort when it comes to testing.

The same child scored perfectly on social studies and missed one on science (second-guessing the answer).

This was a science question:

Which backpack is best for school?

A-waterproof, padded straps

B-not waterproof, no padded straps

C-not waterproof, padded straps

D-waterproof, no padded straps

I would guess, based on my knowledge of standardized tests, C, but the answer chosen was A because backpacks are multi-use in my home. And the above question is why standardized tests are often ridiculous.

I test because it's good practice for the kids and DH likes to see the results, but it's always an exercise in frustration for me.

Standardized testing does not accurately reflect a child's knowledge. It compares a child with the normed group. The normed group would have included children who found the testing frustrating and chose to be done as well as children who just worked through and got the correct answers.

The evaluations that we do as parents, whatever that evaluation looks like, is much more accurate in assessing a child's knowledge. It is why standardized tests should not be the sole criteria for how well a child is doing at home (or in the classroom, for that matter).

• Like 3

I remember that tornado question too from a past year when we did the ITBS...My kids knew because we are in the Midwest, but I figured that other kids would not know if they live in non-tornado prone areas!  I also wondered if tests written in California asked what to do in an earthquake..My kids totally would have no idea about that! :laugh:

Another favorite..."Which of these is a picture of a holiday celebration?"  And one of the pictures had a Turkey dinner... the other three had some other random activities that don't look particularly holiday-like, but you never know.  I was imagining how a child would feel about that if he/she came from a vegetarian family or one from any family background that doesn't celebrate US Thanksgiving with the traditional meal.  I mean, I guess most kids probably pick up on that cultural tradition even if their family doesn't celebrate (or doesn't celebrate in the usual way)...but I felt like it was eye-opening to me how much of the "social studies" section can easily have a lot of cultural bias.

• Like 2

A should be the answer. Padded straps - books and school stuff can be heavy. Waterproof - most of your backpack items will be paper based and susceptible to water. What if it rains on the way to or from school? On the other hand what if you are from the desert wher moisture isn't an issue. For that matter are the padded straps universally important? Lower elementary students don't really carry heavy stuff. What if you attend one of those schools where they are moving to digital copies? You wouldn't have heavy books. What if you attention a private school that issues messenger style bags. Are their straps consideres padded? What if you are homeschooled and don't need a backpack? What if this standardized test question is stupid?

• Like 5