Menu

Side effects of medicine

Night Elf

DS is tapering off a medication because of side effects. How long after he's finished the medicine will it take for those side effects to go away? At least we're assuming these symptoms he's having are side effects of this medicine, which is why I'm asking. We'd like to know if they truly are related and figure we won't know until he's finished.

Impossible to know without knowing what type of medicine.  If it's something you don't want to name for privacy reasons, call your pharmacy and ask the pharmacist.  They have doctorates and know a lot more about medications than even many physicians.  And if they don't know, most will research it for you & call you back.

• Like 3

Okay. I did email my doctor too but she wasn't entirely convinced his problem was due to the medication, but she gave him directions on how to taper off of it. She'll put him on something else afterwards. The medicine is for OCD. I don't think he was at the top of the recommended dosage either.

It really depends on the med. My ds developed OCD due to a med. It was at least 2 years before the worst of the behaviors were gone. Apparently, that drug in the presence of some other conditions which ds had was known to have that side effect. I was pretty angry at the doctor.

it really depends upon the rx, what the side-effects are, and why he is on it.

have you done some internet searching for the rx and the particular side-effect?

I had one side-effect from a drug that I only found a reference to on ONE pharmacy site.  none of the other sites listing side-effects listed mine - so he could be having one that is on the rare side if you have trouble finding a reference.