Menu

Would you say something? Or MYOB?

Halcyon

Well, I don't think it's parenting at all to let your child put themselves in that kind of danger. I would talk to your dad, and I would consider calling the new school with your concearns about letting the poor girl have a clean slate. Maybe if the new school tells her to take them down, the mom will act like a mom. 

I didn't read all the posts, so this might be covered already, but, personally, since Mom doesn't seem likely to be concerned, and since you are related to DAD, I'd talk to Dad for both those reasons, and because he is a DAD. I'd bring my iPad to lunch with Dad. I'd ask him if he'd seen his teen's instagram account lately. Blank stare likely to follow. "Well, Dad, that's what I figured, because I figured you'd have shut it down if you'd seen the pictures that strangers can see . . . and then I'd pull out my iPad open to her account and slowly browse the pics for Dad, pointing out periodically that any stranger can see this, and can see her real name, and can google her address, school, etc. I can't think of any men I personally know who would not have had a coronary by now and been on the phone to their spouse and child getting that thing shut down yesterday. My dh is pretty mellow, liberal, and defers nearly all parenting decisions to me . ..  but I can guaran-damn-tee that he'd go to war over something like that!

• Like 2

If you talk to C directly, I'd suggest you try pointing out that thousands of followers on the internet is not the same as having friends at school. I mean, seriously, who cares if you have 3000 followers if you don't post anything of substance and have no friends irl?

• Like 1

Another "sorta" update: I talked to my DH and he thinks that the Mom will not care and does not care (he thinks she is likely well aware of the Instagram account). My father is a very hands-off parent, and leaves everything to his wife (or the nanny, when she was around). He won't take action if his wife is not on board.

Given what you have said, I would probably leave it for now.  But, if an opportunity came up, I might bring it up again - for example if there was some discussion of bullying or calling her names, it might be worthwhile to point out that posting pictures of that kind might be the reason for those names.

I'd also just keep my eyes open.

• Like 1