Menu

Your most favorite job

Night Elf

Loved working at my college newspaper which published a 12- to 24 page paper five days per week. I did every job (alternating semesters) - typesetting, developing film, proofreading, layout, ad design, even writing editorials. The work was hard but rewarding. We would work late at night and then the next morning see our papers all over campus. I've never heard of a college paper publishing 5 days per week.

I was the copy editor for my college newspaper.  We had a 12-16 page weekly.  It was so much fun!!  The job generally involved pulling frequent all-nighters.  

As copy editor, I also got roped into doing all sorts of things at the paper.  Since I was one of the last people in the chain, I was called on to do all sorts of things.  I was usually willing because I enjoyed it and because it helped me get to bed sooner.

I got to know some very interesting people.  Doing interviews requires the ability to find common ground -- with everyone.  My co-workers were sometimes amazed at my eclectic friendships.

Believe it or not, my favorite job was processing mortgage loans, especially during the time I ran my own contract loan processing company.  I am one of those weirdo types who actually like paperwork.  I'm very organized, and I loved putting everything together into a complete file that got approved and closed.  I'd still be doing it now but for the new licensing requirements that were imposed after the market crash.

Best job was when I worked at a bookstore unpacking their orders, putting on bookstore price tags, inventorying, etc. I could do it whenever I had time, no set schedule. We were a huge family there. I loved it. (Plus, I got to read a TON!) 
Next best was being a nanny. 

• Like 1