Menu

Writing for a very reluctant 9th grader?

So, for a variety of reasons, my rising 9th grader is a really poor writer.  It really comes down to three factors: he hates writing, I don't enjoy teaching it, and within the last year he's been diagnosed with ADHD and we've been figuring that out. 

In 7th grade, we started WWS.  I planned to use it over a two year period.  It was pretty painful at the beginning, but by the end of the year, it was much better.  In 8th grade, we switched to HOD (which is the best decision I have ever made in our 9 years of homeschooling!).  It's been a great fit overall.  However, the writing program in it was subpar, in my opinion.  I should have just kept at WWS, but I didn't.  So this coming year (his 9th grade year), the scheduled writing program in HOD World Geography is Essentials in Writing Grade 10. 

My questions are: 

* is this going to be too overwhelming for a student who needs some remedial help with writing?

* I know that WWS is a middle school curriculum, but can I justify using it in High School because it would be good for him? (he doesn't want to do WWS, btw)

*what are my other options for writing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. Quite possibly.  My own ds finds it overwhelming (but I think he needs the gentle stretch).

2. I think it works for high school writing.

3. You might look at IEW level B materials.

:iagree: I was just going to post the same suggestion.  IEW has a reputation for working well for struggling learners, since you mentioned ADHD. And, the IEW Student Writing Intensive packages contains DVDs of the author doing the teaching, so mom doesn't have to be the instructor. It works well if you can watch with him though, and then you're better able to offer feedback and grade his papers. Grading rubrics/guidance are also provided.

• Like 3

You might take a look at Meaningful Composition, it worked for my reluctant writer.  

Meaningful Composition Book 8+ (formerly called Level C)

This 260 page book contains all outlining and writing instructions for biographical, informative, persuasive, and personal writings. It also includes an original story and a persuasive business letter, besides a few KWO essays. Students in this book will learn extensive source citation skills throughout the informative, biographical, and persuasive writing assignments.

FWIW, I wouldn't have a problem with a 9th grader using WWS1, as a remedial/struggling learner, if he/she still needs to build a strong base of expository writing skills, *IF* the student was open to using it. (My son finished it this year as a 7th grader and he moved more quickly through it and got so much more out of it than he would have at a younger age.) I remember reading somewhere something to the effect that a high school senior would be being pretty well prepared for college writing compared to their peers if they have mastered all the skills in WWS1-WWS3. So, extrapolating backwards . . . I think WWS1 in 9th would be just fine. But since you say that your son doesn't want to use WWS, I wouldn't force it. You're getting several other good suggestions. :001_smile:

Thanks for the suggestions!  I may have to revisit IEW (we tried it in 5th grade it was not a good fit).  And I had never heard of Meaningful Composition, but I just googled it and it looks very interesting!

And Taryn, I know you're right about not forcing it. Sigh.  I really wanted WWS to work.

• Like 1

ds13 has been a reluctant writer and has complained about having to do it.  He went through WWS I & II and it was painful!  I think his favorite part was his 'last' assignment which was a research paper he got to do on telescopes.  Then we started this little book which I cannot recommend highly enough called The Lively Art of Writing.  Talk about a great find!  Though compact, its filled with great lessons.  For the first time he's actually said he has enjoyed writing!  I'm not sure if it could be used for a full credit by itself.  But its absolutely worth picking up and supplementing with for reluctant writers.  Maybe try combining it with BraveWriter or something else which will help turn around his disdain for writing.  Or at least provide some options which he hates 'less.'  I would hesitate to force WWS given his experience thus far.  He may simply need a change of pace to make writing a tiny bit more enjoyable.

• Like 1

My oldest is a very reluctant writer. What worked for him (10th grade) was Brave Writer Kidswriter Intermediate online class, followed by their essay class.

I would also look at IEW.

I've looked at the Kidswrite Intermediate class before for my son and thought it sounded fantastic. I'm a bit fuzzy on the details though  . . . does that class have a live interactive session weekly (or at some other interval)?

No, Brave Writer does not have any live sessions. For Kidswriter Int. and many other Brave Writer courses, the teacher posts both reading material for teaching as well as an assignment at the beginning of the week. There is usually a second or third part of the assignment posted as the week goes on. Students will have work due mid-week as well as on Fridays, but no work over the weekends. The comments/corrections from the teacher are excellent. They will find both positives in the writing as well as areas to improve and ask you to make an edit to the writing. It was amazing what the teacher could draw out of my reluctant writer.

The students can read all the student writing and the teacher's comments for everyone's writing. Students sometimes chat about each other's topics but students do not critique each other. It is very helpful to read the teacher comments about other's writing as well.

• Like 3

Julie, thank you for taking the time to explain how BW works for the older kids' online classes! I understand your explanation much better than the website's. 😉 That was very helpful for me, and hopefully for others too.

• Like 1

Since you don't like to teach writing and have a reluctant writer, I would not suggest a book or curriculum.  I would definitely look at classes like the ones offered through Bravewriter.  Those classes offer the instruction, examples, and feedback needed by reluctant writers.  Fwiw, reluctant writers often hate writing because they just don't know what to do when it comes to writing.  No one really likes to do what they don't understand, especially the non-natural writer.  The author of Lost Tools of Writing, Andrew Kern, claims writers basically have 3 problems -- coming up with ideas, arranging those ideas, and expressing those ideas appropriately. Reluctant writers usually hit a roadblock at the starting gate; i.e. coming up with ideas.  Lost Tools is wonderful because it gives the student tools to come up with his own ideas.  I would recommend a class for LToW as well.

• Like 1

Thank you for the Brave Writer suggestion and description, Julie!  And 1togo, I have LToW on my shelf, but have never seriously considered it because it seems more complicated than I want it to be (love the concept, hate the implementation!), but maybe I'll look at it again.  And HSCL2--what do you like about EIW?  I'm kind of circling back around to this because it seems so easy?  E.g. video classes, gentle approach, etc.  What am I missing?

Thank you for the Brave Writer suggestion and description, Julie!  And 1togo, I have LToW on my shelf, but have never seriously considered it because it seems more complicated than I want it to be (love the concept, hate the implementation!), but maybe I'll look at it again.  And HSCL2--what do you like about EIW?  I'm kind of circling back around to this because it seems so easy?  E.g. video classes, gentle approach, etc.  What am I missing?

My wife actually wanted to use EIW this coming year for ds13.  We had heard some good things about it.  But the more I reviewed it the more it really bugged me.  Its most likely my own bias, I know.  I found the presentation style off putting with all those colors on the board and the instructor's voice was annoying.  Sorry, but it reminded me too much of Pee-wee Herman. :)   There are also some complaints with the recorded audio quality.  Here are a few more reviews.  I'm sure its fine for many students, however.  So I recommend taking a look at the samples 'with' your son.  Here are a couple of them, for example:

• Like 4

Thank you again, Derek!  I completely agree with you about his voice!  But I might try it anyway.  I had him listen a little, but after about a minute, he said "do we have to listen to the whole thing?"  And he just shrugged his shoulders about whether or not he'd be ok with it. He just is not interested in writing at all.  BUT I've ordered the Lively Art of Writing, so we'll take a look at that.  Given his apathy for the subject, I think I'll end up picking whatever can just "get done!"

If I come up with something that really sparks his interest, I'll gladly share!

• 2 weeks later...

Bravewriter.  Consider Kidswrite Intermediate.  You can than move on to other classes.  This semester was a photography and write 4 week course that a friends son took and has really loved.   Especially if you dislike teaching writing, outsourcing it is a fabulous thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!  If you have time this summer, check out one of the summer offerings.  Taking just a BW course without other work might give y'all a good idea of the structure and if it is right for y'all.

• 1 month later...

ds13 has been a reluctant writer and has complained about having to do it.  ...

Then we started this little book which I cannot recommend highly enough called The Lively Art of Writing.  Talk about a great find!  Though compact, its filled with great lessons.  For the first time he's actually said he has enjoyed writing!  I'm not sure if it could be used for a full credit by itself.  But its absolutely worth picking up and supplementing with for reluctant writers.  ...

Derek, which topics did your ds write about when using LAoW?