Menu

Teaching Textbooks Success

DD started with Saxon and despised it.  Tears, hated math, the whole deal.  We switched to TT with Pre-Algebra and have continued through Alg I and II, and Geometry.  DD became a math lover who voluntarily does math in the summer.

I've heard about TT not being rigorous enough, etc, so i just wanted to share that DD took her Accuplacer and placed into Pre-Calc "quite handily" according to the advisor.  We have not supplemented, have only used TT.  We used Alg I in 8th grade, and combined Geom and Alg II over 9th and 10th.  She will be starting next year with community college courses.

Just sharing if that helps anyone make the leap!  

• Like 11

DD became a math lover who voluntarily does math in the summer.

I've heard about TT not being rigorous enough, etc, so i just wanted to share that DD took her Accuplacer and placed into Pre-Calc "quite handily" according to the advisor.

Love this!

Congrats to your daughter!

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this! Both of my kids seem to be doing well with TT. I have a friend whose 2 children both received a 30 on the math section of the ACT after using TT. It's good to hear something positive about TT.

• Like 4

Woohoo for your DD! This happened to us, as well. I love Teaching Textbooks. DD is mathy, and worked through Jacobs' Algebra, but the lack of explanation for answers made her nutty. This year we switched to TT and it is night and day-- she is no longer aggravated when she doesn't understand something: all she has to do is look up the explanation-- which she rarely needed to do.

DD has her last Algebra II test tomorrow. A few weeks ago she suggested starting Geometry over the summer-- so after tomorrow's test she will take the rest of the week off math-wise, then start Geometry next week-- all her idea.  She took the ACT as part of a talent search and jumped 7 points in math,almost making the cutoff the CC requires for taking Calculus. She loves math-- she said doing math relaxes her. Such a difference from last year.

Congrats to your DD!

Maria

• Like 2

Thanks for posting this! Both of my kids seem to be doing well with TT. I have a friend whose 2 children both received a 30 on the math section of the ACT after using TT. It's good to hear something positive about TT.

I posted on the similar thread on the high school board regarding my kids and TT.  The two who used it through high school both scored higher than 30 on the ACT and both easily handled Calc after TT Pre-Calc.

More importantly, both knew how to use math... in science, in life, etc.

It's important to be certain this crossover is occurring - that true knowledge is being conveyed.  (I say that about any math curriculum.)

• Like 1