Menu

Books like Where the Mountain Meets the Moon - about other countries?

I'm looking for books like this one, that I could use as a springboard for unit studies of other countries.

Looking for stories about children and their lives in their countries, going on adventures or giving an interesting account of their daily life.

For those seasoned folks here do any come to mind?

We just spent 3 weeks reading this, researching Chinese culture, mapping and learning the features, drawing dragons and pavilions, learning about the Great Wall and it's history, learning a little Chinese, and for fun watched Wild China on Netflix (and yes we wrote about it LOL.)

I'm looking for other countries I can do this same thing with.

Any suggestions??

Check out the read alouds included in Sonlight Core F which focuses on the Eastern Hemisphere. Where the Mountain Meets the Moon is one of the books in that Core.

http://www.sonlight.com/FC5.html#included-items

Also, if you want to include picture books I've been doing one country per week with my 5 year old and have what we read on my site.  We're in the middle so I'll keep posting weekly the countries as we travel around the world. :) 

http://www.wellreadkid.com/category/what-we-read/

There's one that I just read called Masai and I.  It's really good.  I think it's perfect for the ages 5 - 7.  It's about a tribe in Africa.  The little girl in New York City (?) is pretending to be a girl from the Masai tribe.  For example, her mom gives her change to get ice cream from the deli down the street; whereas, (on the other side of the book) she would follow an animal (honey bird?) to a beehive and get honey there for desert.  Etc.

You'll have to do some research on your own, but I thought it was pretty well written.  Something to add when you are studying tribes in Africa.

I'm looking for books like this one, that I could use as a springboard for unit studies of other countries.

Looking for stories about children and their lives in their countries, going on adventures or giving an interesting account of their daily life.

For those seasoned folks here do any come to mind?

We just spent 3 weeks reading this, researching Chinese culture, mapping and learning the features, drawing dragons and pavilions, learning about the Great Wall and it's history, learning a little Chinese, and for fun watched Wild China on Netflix (and yes we wrote about it LOL.)

I'm looking for other countries I can do this same thing with.

Any suggestions??

The Water Buffalo Children -- good for young kids

A Patchwork Child (when your kids get a little older, perhaps tween-age, maybe when studying the 1800's)

For Mom or high schoolers:  The Pillowbook of Sei Shonagon (check the spelling -- I might have flubbed it up.  No, it's not racy.  A "pillowbook" is a diary.  Japanese well-to-do women kept them in a compartment of their "pillows", which were actually stiff neck supports that preserved the elaborate hairdos while sleeping.)

• Like 1

The free geography literature list from Barefoot Meandering is full of excellent book and documentary suggestions for all ages. It is organized by continent and broken down by age level. We used a lot of the suggestions for my 7th graders geography this year, and it was her favorite subject.

I finally got around to checking this out -  what a great resource thank you!