Menu

VP to Timberdoodle?

I really think I'm having a moment of insanity. After using Veritas Press for 6 years with my oldest and 3 years with my middle I'm seriously considering switching all 3 to Timberdoodle. My youngest has used their products since the beginning (baby, prek-3 & pre-k4). I'm worried that it's not strong enough in math and writing and latin is non-existent. I'm excited about the fact that looking through the catalog my oldest two were all "That looks awesome" and "I want to do that" instead of their usual reaction to Veritas Press which is less than enthusiastic to say the least.

But *I* love Veritas Press. Is it ok to completely go off track for a year? What if we never come back?  :w00t:

I used VP for years and looking back I think Timberdoodle's progression is really sane and common sense.  Why not just change out the math?  ;)   Are you thinking you'd do the 5th grade kit with your oldest?  They're using Jump In.  I never used the whole thing, but I used the writing prompts from the tm for a year with my dd and they were awesome.  I wouldn't hesitate to use Jump In if it seems like it would work for your dc.  If it doesn't, it would be easy enough to do something else.  Really though, it's 5th grade.  Life will not end.  Go for it.  Embrace the joy and solve the little problems it creates.  :)

• Like 2

It would be 6th grade for my oldest....I guess that's why I'm considering it at all. 7th grade is when Omnibus starts and he's already had 5 years of VP under his belt.

My kids HATE Saxon Math. I only use it because every review I've ever read from someone who used it all the way through is "I hated every moment of it but I'm sure glad I went through it now," So, I'm not completely set on switching out anything (other than what we already own, Solitaire Chess for instance). I'd just love to see my kids excited about school again.

My dd had issues with writing for years, said she'd never like it, and around age (I forget, 12?) had a breakthrough.  It might be some of your angst will improve over the next few years.  She really liked Wordsmith Apprentice, which I see they use for their gr 6 kit.  Yeah, math is pretty particular.  I guess just do what you think best.  Have you done testing to see how it's actually sticking for him?  

ok, I ultimately decided it was too insane to change everything up for this coming year. Plus, my boys saw how many books were included for each subject for Timberdoodle and asked if it was too late to stick with VP!

• Like 2