Menu

Experience with private school financial aid

EmseB

We might be moving to an area that has a great private school that we'd be possibly interested in sending my older boys to. It looks out of bounds for us financially, although I would not say it is super expensive as far as private schools go. It's not what I would consider one of those elite schools that are for uber rich kids, but is just more than we can afford for two kids.

They offer tuition assistance, using a service called FAST to determine awards and such. But, you have to apply to the school ($150 app fee) and be accepted in order to apply for TA. Does anyone have any experience with this? We make a decent income (Just one, I stay home and would continue to do so), so I'm worried we'd waste $150 applying to find out we aren't eligible for much financial aid. But I have no idea how these things are awarded.

I'd encourage you to contact the school and talk to them about it. It will really depend on the school, I think. Our church's new classical school is just starting to chart these waters, as we just finished our first year in operation and have some financial aid applications already submitted for the next school year that the school needs to decide how to handle. We use a third-party service for the applications, but then it's up to the school to decide what to do.

Perhaps the school has an app fee waiver in a case like yours? If they're already filled with existing students, they might say no, but if they're looking for new students, they might try to accommodate. You might also check into whether the school offers tuition discounts for families with more than one student enrolled. Our school is making a decision about that as well, and it's been interesting to see the range of what different schools offer in tuition reduction in those cases.

Erica in OR

iCal the school and ask these questions.

I'm very familiar with a local GREAT private school's practices and I know they would welcome a call to ask these questions.

I am not saying you will get all the answers you want to hear--just that you will do no harm by asking them.

Thanks for the info! I will call them if we get more concrete info about actually living there. It is new territory for me, as the last school my oldest attended was half day and therefore super affordable, and here there are NO options so we're homeschooling.

We have done this 3 times.  Do be aware that they will ask for your tax records, property value, savings accounts, investments, assets, other funds like trust funds etc.  You will have to divulge every little detail of your finances.

We applied at 1 school but they ran out  of financial aid with the existing families.  We didn't get an award and the tuition was way too high to afford without it (well over $20,000 year  :scared: )  

The second school did award dd a scholarship and she attended there for 2 years (you have to reapply each year).  They reduced our bill by about 10%. 

Make sure to call now to ask about the process.  Most schools are making these decisions now for next year.  I wouldn't be surprised if you already missed the dates for application and especially for financial aide, if it is an in-demand school. 

• Like 1

DS went to a private, expensive school for K. They were very very generous with financial aid and I am grateful for that. Just bear in mind that along with financial aid may come expectations of large amounts of volunteer hours. The hours may be required or gratitude-related but it's just as well to know what the expectations are. My neighbor's child goes to an elite school and they pretty much own her (the mom) for the next few years!

• Like 2

DS went to a private, expensive school for K. They were very very generous with financial aid and I am grateful for that. Just bear in mind that along with financial aid may come expectations of large amounts of volunteer hours. The hours may be required or gratitude-related but it's just as well to know what the expectations are. My neighbor's child goes to an elite school and they pretty much own her (the mom) for the next few years!

I was thinking something similar. It is hard to be the student/family who cannot well afford to attend. IME, there are constant expectations of time and money that wealthier families don't think twice about.

We applied this year via FAST.  Although I know they have to ask these questions I found it very intrusive.  If you've ever done FAFSA it's quite similar.  The school also wanted 2 prior year's worth of tax records.

We didn't get the aid... I'm bummed because the school is very expensive. Our son will be in 8th next year and we won't be repeating the application process...it's just too intrusive and I doubt it will do any good.  We're fortunate that we'll have 2 grad. from college this year so no more expenses for that... But, we plan to find another school for our son for high school.  If they'd have thrown us a bone I probably would have considered staying, but not after going through the process, jumping through their hoops, and then being rejected.  No way.