Menu

Very weird illness memory

Night Elf

So my stepdad was in an auto accident. He broke his arm, collar bone, and neck. He was in ICU for a couple of weeks and then in rehab for a couple of weeks. While in ICU, he started having mental issues. He was seeing things that weren't there and believing he was doing things that he did over 30 years ago. Mom was told that was common after surgeries for people in ICU. Anyway, while in rehab, he was much better, almost back to himself, except for one thing. He has a memory of something that didn't happen. In his first week at rehab, he recalled that the week before he was in Cambodia. He has this elaborate story that he repeats. They got him to understand that it didn't happen and he was able to tell them he understood, but he can still recall it easily. I find this strange indeed. Is this something that will always be with him, or will the memory fade and he won't remember he even said he was in Cambodia?

I think it's called Confabulation and can be caused by brain trauma, here's a site with a bit about what type of injury.  Also there's a vitamin/mineral deficiency that can cause Confabulation, I just can't remember right now which one.

ETA- Vitamin B1 deficiency can cause false memories.  My step-father had a slight issue (worse issues with other things)with this and the doctor tested his levels and he was severely low.

Just had to pipe up that during my week in ICU last May I had all sorts of waking hallucinations - I was Fiona, and Shrek was visiting me, and my hospital bed was in part of a British library.  Or one of the nurses in ICU baptized a baby in my room.  Or a friend of my dd wanted me to adopt her baby (I actually called my dd - at 3:00am - to ask if I should sign the form. She was all 'Say what?")  Or the nurses were Nazi's and if I let on that I knew it, they would put the blood pressure cuff around my neck and kill me. 

The Fiona/Shrek one I kind enjoyed.

• Like 2

Don't be surprised if down the line, he doesn't remember that you visited him while he was in the hospital. I have been on the receiving end of a cold shoulder several times from family members who were hurt that I hadn't come to see them after an accident or surgery. My mother is currently ticked off at my sister for not calling after Mom's recent accident, while sister told me all about the hour-long conversation they'd had. The really crazy thing is that Mom and I were accused of not visiting her brother after his heart attack and surgery, so she knows what it feels like to be falsely accused. And when I brought that up to her, she basically said that may have happened with other people, but *she* knows who did and didn't call or visit. Sigh .....

Thanks ladies. My mom doesn't seem concerned about it because he's normal otherwise. I just find it odd. I feel bad for all he has been going through. Should I tell her to ask their GP to check for vitamin B levels? Is that all? Mom was told there was no brain injury or concussion, which I find hard to believe. He was pretty banged up and rescued from his upside down car. Personally, I think his neck surgery did something bad, but Mom won't consider it. She's so relieved he didn't die that she's certain he's all back to normal, despite this one odd memory.

Just had to pipe up that during my week in ICU last May I had all sorts of waking hallucinations - I was Fiona, and Shrek was visiting me, and my hospital bed was in part of a British library.  Or one of the nurses in ICU baptized a baby in my room.  Or a friend of my dd wanted me to adopt her baby (I actually called my dd - at 3:00am - to ask if I should sign the form. She was all 'Say what?")  Or the nurses were Nazi's and if I let on that I knew it, they would put the blood pressure cuff around my neck and kill me. 

The Fiona/Shrek one I kind enjoyed.

That's crazy. Why does ICU affect people that way?