Menu

Combining two tenth graders, using same curriculum - one AP, one honors

This a follow-up question about my ballerina-in-training stepdaughter.  We have decided to let her come home from public school, so that she can privately train for hours a day with her dance instructor.  After researching various online, public school options, her father has come to the conclusion that he may want me to stop working and homeschool her.  However, we need it to fill certain requirements. 

It needs to be inexpensive.

It needs to be quite structured, as she has never been homeschooled and I worry about time management and accountability.

Her progress needs to be easily monitored by three of us, as she splits time between her mother's house and ours.

My son has been home for years - he is also in 10th grade and following a fairly rigorous schedule.  I am wondering if it is best to have them follow the same syllabi, but have her do less work for an honors track.

DS is already signed up for PA Homeschooler's AP Language and Comp.  He will also take AP Bio and an AP History (no idea what curriculum/program/texts to use.  He is very good with self-motivation and self-studying.)  His math courses will be taken at Penn next year.  So  -

Her courses: 

Honors English

Honors Biology

Algebra 2 (algebra 1 did NOT come easily for her at all).  This should probably be an online course.

Honors History (she is taking US History this year; ds is taking AP Human Geography).  Which would be best for both of them to take?

Spanish 3 - She is Hispanic, so this should be easy for her.

How would you recommend we overlap some of these courses?  Is it doable?  Any ideas for the best ways to fulfill our requirements?  And thoughts on structured programs or syllabi we could follow?

Thanks ever so much!

Is she taking Algebra 1 right now?  Could she review Algebra 1 again over the summer to shore up her skills?  Maybe a combination of the Key to Algebra workbooks and Khan Academy?

If she is struggling with math, could she get a tutor to monitor her and provide solid instruction, consistency and support for this next year?  An on-line class MIGHT work if she was getting a lot of scaffolding and support from the instructor but she might also crash and burn if she is not good at communicating her struggles and asking for help.

For the math class, I would talk to Jann in TX (see link under Lial's Algebra in pinned math thread). Let her help you with placement and provide the online class. I have seen nothing but positive reviews of her classes both her and from the person I know locally who has used them. 

I'm not really sure what Honors courses mean, so I can't give suggestions on the others. There is not a standardized honors designation for any subject, unlike AP. 

• Like 1

I guess I'm not seeing the benefit of calling her classes honors?  It really sounds like she is going to be pushed to the max for study, sleep, and dance even in a regular level course.  You could always add more work if needed later, but I have hard time believing she wouldn't just rather sleep.

Trying to teach these two together doesn't seem like a good idea, either, since she lives in two different households and is at a different level and schedule than your son. It would probably frustrate them both.

With that in mind, you might try:

Just-turn-the-page English: Lightning Lit (several choices available at the high school level)

Just-turn-the-page Bio: Biozone NGSS workbook, plus labs you could do when she is in your household

Just-turn-the-page Math: Algebra II: A Fresh Approach (unless you find something that works with her schedule online)

Nothing really springs to mind for history, but maybe someone else can suggest something?

• Like 1

For pre-planned easy to follow, my favorite lit is Excellence in Lit, rather than Lightning Lit. They even have an "honors" option where you do a bit of extra reading and writing. It is much cheaper than LL too.

For Biology, if you have an iPad, you could get the iPad version of Miller Levine Biology. You could snag a copy of the Kolbe lesson plans to go with it.

History, are you saying she just finished American? If so, what about using SWB's History of the Ancient World with the Teacher/study guide. You could certainly choose how many writing assignments, review questions etc to assign to make this light or honors level. This is one that you could use with both kids. 

• Like 1

For Biology, if you have an iPad, you could get the iPad version of Miller Levine Biology. You could snag a copy of the Kolbe lesson plans to go with it.

For iPad, also check out the EO Wilson Life On Earth - texts on ibooks and course iTunesU.  Free and also easy to carry around between households.

With a Khan Academy account.  You can set it up to be her teacher/coach and will be able to see how often she is online doing the math and where she is struggling.  That way you can monitor her a bit when she is not in your home.

Is the other household going to help or hinder this process?  Does your dd have unlimited or good internet at that house also?  Homeschooling is hard and if one set of parents are against it, well it could be a terrible situation for the child.

• Like 1