Menu

TWTM Academy Workshop Model

I just read on another thread (http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/545755-wtma-expository-writing-ii-feedback-please/?p=6295276) about the classes following the workshop model. Would anyone care to share their experiences, either here or in PM? Is this the case for all the classes?

This has been quite a surprise to me. Unfortunately, it's not been a pleasant one. I may need to rethink next year's plans... :crying:

ETA: Update! New sections and instructors have been added to the writing classes. Both the workshop model and a more traditional class structure are now available.  :)

• Like 1

My son is in Rhetoric this year and is planning to take it next year because it had been a good class, but he's not the best one to ask about this because he's on the delayed schedule and doesn't participate in the live classes. But yes, he said they do read their work out loud in class and talk about it.

He's learned a lot in the class despite being on the delayed schedule.

• Like 1

My son is in Rhetoric this year and is planning to take it next year because it had been a good class, but he's not the best one to ask about this because he's on the delayed schedule and doesn't participate in the live classes. But yes, he said they do read their work out loud in class and talk about it.

He's learned a lot in the class despite being on the delayed schedule.

Is his work not discussed in class at all since he's on the delayed schedule? Does he get feedback from the instructor? It's my understanding corrections and rewrites aren't a normal part of the class. Do you know if that has been your son's experience?

In other words, the impression I'm getting is that they discuss the assignment and what can be improved in the future, but they don't work on improving the writing at hand. (Beyond just discussing it.)

No, they don't discuss his assignments in class. He doesn't get a lot of feedback from his teacher, but he also hasn't asked for much and he gets good grades- he's always been a good writer. He doesn't do rewrites. If he had more trouble with writing it might be different, but I don't really know about that.

Not much help, I know.

• Like 1

No, they don't discuss his assignments in class. He doesn't get a lot of feed back from his teacher, but he also hasn't asked for much and he gets good grades- he's always been a good writer. He doesn't do rewrites. If he had more trouble with writing it might be different, but I don't really know about that.

Not much help, I know.

This has been incredibly helpful. Thank you so much. 

An excellent reminder that we all have different standards and goals. My daughter loves to write, but she is not the best she could possibly be. It's hard for me to even begin to imagine a high school student not getting much feedback on writing! Goodness! Look at how much editing goes into published books of successful authors!

I think I have misunderstood these classes. Thanks so much for your response!

• 2 weeks later...

An important update!

New sections and instructors have been added to the writing courses. There will now be the option for the workshop format or a more traditional class structure. Win-win. :)

I keep reading your post and then checking their website and I am not seeing this.  Where are you finding the more traditional class structure?  Can you link it for me, please?  TIA

I keep reading your post and then checking their website and I am not seeing this.  Where are you finding the more traditional class structure?  Can you link it for me, please?  TIA

It's my understanding from various posts that Thomas Hummel and Kathleen Brian teach in a workshop format and Chloé Richardson's class is more traditional. I encourage you to email Chloé Richardson or any of the instructors for details or any questions you have about which class would be the best fit for your child. I've found the Academy to be very responsive to answering questions.