Menu

Question for Derek Owens Users

Wait, are you able to buy just the files of the student workbooks now, rather than the hard copies? Are you buying the course as a "product" to use independently or enrolling in the online class?

When I purchased Derek Owens pre-algebra from http://www.lucideducation.com/?p=PrealgebraBuy.php, the parent files, which contained all homework assignments, tests, review materials, exams, and full solutions, came on a flash drive. The student workbook was not on the parent files flash drive.

The student workbook contains the partially filled-in lecture notes and practice problems only (not "homework" problems). I had to buy the student workbook in hard copy; there was no e-version of the student workbook. Maybe they've changed that since then, though.

Wait, are you able to buy just the files of the student workbooks now, rather than the hard copies?

When I purchased Derek Owens pre-algebra from http://www.lucideducation.com/?p=PrealgebraBuy.php, the parent files, which contained all homework assignments, tests, review materials, exams, and full solutions, came on a flash drive. The student workbook was not on the parent files flash drive.

The student workbook contains the partially filled-in lecture notes and practice problems only (not "homework" problems). I had to buy the student workbook in hard copy; there was no e-version of the student workbook. Maybe they've changed that since then, though.

I guess I didn't realize that I could buy the course outright and do it on our own through lucideducation.com.  I was going to sign up for the online course through the Derek Owens website, and then the student notebooks are available to print out.  Maybe I should buy the program and do it on my own.  I don't really need someone else to grade my ds's assignments, and it would be a lot cheaper.

• Like 1

I guess I didn't realize that I could buy the course outright and do it on our own through lucideducation.com.  I was going to sign up for the online course through the Derek Owens website, and then the student notebooks are available to print out.  Maybe I should buy the program and do it on my own.  I don't really need someone else to grade my ds's assignments, and it would be a lot cheaper.

Yes, definitely! All the videos are online at http://www.lucideducation.com/?p=PrealgebraPre.php. So if you buy prealgebra as a "product" and grade everything yourself, rather than enrolling in the course with Mr. Owens doing the grading, you will save a lot.

Can someone tell me, does DO pre algebra have a good amount of word problems?  I saw on another thread someone thought it was light on word problems.  

• Like 1

Can someone tell me, does DO pre algebra have a good amount of word problems?  I saw on another thread someone thought it was light on word problems.  

I have a follow-up question along similar lines for those who have used DO Pre-A.  How difficult or challenging would you say the course is for an average or even somewhat reluctant math student?  

I am looking ahead a bit for our middle dd for whom math is not a strength, though she does work hard at it.  I will not have her take the same path as ds13 did with TabletClass which was challenging in a good way for him.  I'm thinking more about DO, Dolciani or something else which is solid, but not over the top difficult for her.  Consequently, AoPS is out.  But at the same time I don't want easy street for her either as I believe some struggle is necessary/good.  MUS and TT are not options.  

Thanks,

Definitely print out and try the samples. We bought DO PreA, and it really was not a good fit for my dd.

I bought the book (only bought the first semester book and the flash drive) directly from Lucid. It shipped fast and the cost includes shipping. We did the first two chapters, and I think she kind of zoned out during the lectures.

I didn't feel right asking to return the flash drive when I should have really dug into the samples, although I've heard DO is very professional and easy to work with.

There are story quite a few story problems, but not brain busters.

• Like 1

Definitely print out and try the samples. We bought DO PreA, and it really was not a good fit for my dd.

I bought the book (only bought the first semester book and the flash drive) directly from Lucid. It shipped fast and the cost includes shipping. We did the first two chapters, and I think she kind of zoned out during the lectures.

I didn't feel right asking to return the flash drive when I should have really dug into the samples, although I've heard DO is very professional and easy to work with.

Thank you for your review.  I need to find the samples for the books.  I did watch several of the videos, and I thought they were good.  Can you share what you went with instead?

Thank you for your review. I need to find the samples for the books. I did watch several of the videos, and I thought they were good. Can you share what you went with instead?

You know what? I can't find any samples? Maybe I shouldn't feel bad. There is an extensive sample for physical science. There is a sample at Lulu.

To be honest, you could get a good feel from the program if you started with the book at Lulu. That is the teaching part of the program. It has notetaking pages, practice problems and answers to those in the back. The flash drive has additional homework, tests and the answers to those things.

I do like the way Derek presents things in his videos.

ETA- we did the first two chapters of Math Mammoth 7a (we had done Singapore Standards through 5 then MM 6), then started Jacobs Algebra after passing the readiness test at the Dr Callahan site.

We will use the Statistics chapter from Math Mammoth 7b when it comes out as a blue series book. We also are using Critical Thinking Company's Understanding Geometry because Dc likes the presentation.

Can you please be a bit more specific regarding what you did not like about DO Pre-A?  Did your dd find it too simplistic, too much review, easy, hard, boring, not what she/you expected...?

We are also using MM and looking toward next steps after 6.  I noticed you have kind of dabbled in a combo of things, possibly creating your own Pre-A.  Then you simply jumped right into Jacobs, correct?

I also agree that buying the books from Lulu is worth it.  I print out our own MM books, but I like the DO Lulu books. 

As far as one of the other questions that was asked by another poster, I have no idea where DO fits as far as easy/difficult.  My DD completed MM 6 before starting DO prealgebra, and much of the information was review for her. She does not care for math, but she is actually quite good at it (although she doesn't think so).  She has also taken DO Algebra, and we will continue with Algebra 2 through Calculus.  We have chosen to do Geometry on our own using Jurgensen as I don't want to use Jacob's. I love math and feel that DO does an excellent job explaining topics.

• Like 2

Can you please be a bit more specific regarding what you did not like about DO Pre-A?  Did your dd find it too simplistic, too much review, easy, hard, boring, not what she/you expected...?

We are also using MM and looking toward next steps after 6.  I noticed you have kind of dabbled in a combo of things, possibly creating your own Pre-A.  Then you simply jumped right into Jacobs, correct?

I think there is a lot to like about DO.

I think our problem with DO PreAlgebra was mostly that it just didn't fit my kiddo's learning style. Possibly it was too much review, but she ended up reviewing negative numbers with Math Mammoth before starting Jacobs.

We really did cover quite a bit of PreA with other sources this year, although that wasn't my intention.

Math Mammoth 6 and a little 7a for her was great preparation for Jacobs in regards to reading the text to learn. I'm considering the first chapters of Jacobs to be PreA this year. We will probably cover the first 3 or 4 chapters.

I did have her take the placement test at Dr. Callahan's site, and used the sample for the solutions guide for a while before spending any more money. I don't think the videos would be helpful for her, so I didn't buy those.

ETA: here is the google books sample for Jacobs. I had it in my "library" I couldn't find it the other day with a general search: Jacobs

HTH

• Like 1

I emailed to see if I could get the Physics course's videos in DVD format instead of streaming, but haven't heard back....

I just heard back yesterday on this. Derek Owens is willing to send out a flashdrive with the videos for Physics. He said just to ask when I sign up.  :hurray:

• Like 1

I just heard back yesterday on this. Derek Owens is willing to send out a flashdrive with the videos for Physics. He said just to ask when I sign up.  :hurray:

Does this mean his Physics course can be purchased without enrolling for the monthly option, similar to Physical Science and Pre-Algebra?  

Um, I don't think so, but you'd have to ask that one yourself. I'm planning on enrolling for the monthly option so it didn't come up with my question. I much prefer to have DD on a non-net-connected computer (or TV) vs. on our only internet-connecting-device. I'm VERY happy with his answer. I already have the books from Lulu. :-)

Feel free to email him & ask if that would be available & at what price.

• Like 1

I bought the Derek Owens Physical Science and we liked it. I got the course videos on a thumb drive and the student book came spiral bound.  The complete course cost 172$. However, I copied the student book as we used it and kept the original. I bought the course planning to use it with ds2 in a few years and thought I was JUST getting the course on thumb drive, that I would be getting pdfs or whatever of the student book to print out at home. But it is expected that I will buy a second copy of the student book for 36$ for a second child. Ummmm, nope. First of all, I have no assurances that Derek Owens will even have a website going in four years when I need it again. Second of all, I think 40$ for a workbook is actually quite pricy. So, I just made copies for ds1 every chapter and will let ds2 use the workbook when his time comes.