Menu

BJU Math and CLE Math

avazquez24

This is our second year using BJU math and I have been looking at CLE math recently.  DD likes to do things independently and so I've been looking for curriculum that may work better for her.  She hates using manipulatives and hates me trying to explain the "why" to any of it as well. I thought perhaps CLE might be a good fit.  I have never using anything CLE before, so am looking for any input on CLE math.  I did give both kids the placement and it seems like maybe BJU is a little behind CLE? Of course I want a math curriculum that works for us (more independent if that's what dd likes), but at the same time I want a good, solid math program. 

• Like 1

Love CLE.  Love it.  DD hates me hovering over her.  The lesson is structured so only the very first part is new.  Everything else is review.  The material is written to the student, too.  She reads through the beginning of the lesson, we discuss anything she is unclear on, we work one or two problems together then she frequently can do the rest on her own.  I come back later and check her work, note any errors and we work through those separately.

The only thing I think it is a bit weak on is word problems.  We supplement a bit with Math in Focus word problems.  

CLE is structured so it is easy to stretch the material, or cut out some of the review for areas that are truly mastered.  Makes it pretty simple to speed up or slow down the material.  Also, the first light unit of each level is all review of the previous level so if you are moving straight through, without a long math break, you can just skip that unit.  Or use that unit to solidify gaps from a previous level.

Wherever they tested into, start there.  Get the CLE flashcards and the laminated reference sheet.  I highly recommend them.  CLE does targeted math drill in a rather unique way.  I find it very effective.  And they work on math facts all the way through level 500, every day, so even if a child isn't getting facts right away there is plenty of time and plenty of review.

• Like 1

I am also a fan of CLE.

The teacher's manual isn't very helpful to me as the teacher, but I think it's helpful to have for older children to check their own work, since the workbook pages are reproduced in the TM. What I couldn't do without are the illustrated math dictionaries from Usborne. Those are my "teacher's manuals."

• Like 1

I am also a fan of CLE.

The teacher's manual isn't very helpful to me as the teacher, but I think it's helpful to have for older children to check their own work, since the workbook pages are reproduced in the TM. What I couldn't do without are the illustrated math dictionaries from Usborne. Those are my "teacher's manuals."

Oh neat! I have not looked at those before. Thanks for the mention. They look very helpful.

• Like 1

I switched ds from BJU to CLE, and he was a little behind in the switch. I've been very happy with the program, and it is very solid. I only get the answer key set and don't buy the teacher's manual at all. I don't have ds check his own work because I want to see if he misses something.

Ds has always understood math very well, even getting the why before I show him. He's understood whole concepts before they were even introduced. I don't know if that is why it is a good program for him or not. He's on the young side for his grade level and a little immature when it comes to a strong work ethic and paying attention to detail.

I hope to finish 7th grade by the end of next year. I've been doubling up here and there by crossing off some review work. I've let him skip a test here and there is he makes 95 or above on the last lesson's review section. You could skip the first LU of any math level because it's always an assessment of the prior grade level. I think it's meant to begin a school year with any needed review.

• Like 1

We haven't used BJU, but this is our third year with CLE math. The scope and sequence is a bit advanced in the early grades, so just place according to the placement test results. It's a solid, traditional program and we love the ongoing, spiral review. My 2nd DD learns better with limited parental interaction as well :).

• Like 1

I switched from BJU to CLE for math for my dd when she was at the fourth grade level. Although she grasped math concepts very quickly and thought about math on that level, the mastery program did not provide the practice she needed. The spiral format of CLE was a great fit, and we used it through level 6. She moved over to Derek Owens' prealgebra after that level. I love the program so much that I'm using it with my son now.

• Like 1

I purchased the usborne dictionaries someone mentioned to have:) I'm placing my CLE order now (going to start DS at 200 and start DD at 205).....I added both sets of flash cards and the reference chart...trying to decide if I should add the teacher manuals?  I'm wondering if most get them and find them helpful as far as checking answers go? Or do you rarely use them at this level?

• Like 1

I don't use the teacher's manuals, but I do get the answer key sets. That way I can quickly check the work without having to solve problems myself. The TMs include alternative tests in case you feel you want to review and test again if your child didn't score well. 

I got the TMs but at least with Level 200 and 300 I could probably have used just the answer keys. Level 400 (and above) had some helpful suggestions when we hit snags, as well as extra practice material. And of course having the answers makes grading a lot faster so with higher levels I continue tob get the TMs since it covers it all. That being said, I'm sure anyone really good at math or good at creating their own review/additional would probably do just fine with the answer keys.

We did BJU math for 1st and 2nd before moving to CLE in 3rd. We really enjoyed BJU, but I wanted even more review, plus it was cost prohibitive.

We love CLE now, but it was a bit of a transition. The lessons felt so much longer, which DD really had to get used to. Plus, we had to review with several light units in the 200 level before moving on to 300 for 3rd grade.

One thing you might consider, OP, is either breaking CLE up into two different daily sessions (maybe flash cards and drill and possibly the new material in the morning, then review problems in the afternoon) or just cut out some of the review problems in areas that your student is really solid on.  There is a LOT of review in this program so even if you skip review one day that week in one area, that same area is bound to be reviewed again later in the week.