Menu

Love of words

I have a pre-k'er (5 going to PS K next year, not by my choice, but by compromise with DH).  He is bright possibly gifted, definitely accelerated at the moment (reading on 2nd grade level, math on 1st)

He LOVES words.  

Loves learning and using homophones.  Yesterday's conversation was about bare and bear (animal) and he wanted to know how they were spelled and then wanted to know how you would know which meaning was meant and that lead to a conversation about context clues.  Today was about hair and hare.  Which then lead to a short discussion on nouns and adjectives and what those were.

He also is very interested in the WHY some words are spelled the way they are spelled.  Such as the "kn" in know and the "ph" in phone.  We looked up those answers, as I didn't know the answers off the top of my head.  He is currently reading at a beginning 2nd level at best guess.

He uses big words or words I don't expect a 5 year old to use, and then asks if he used them correctly, most often he is using them correctly. (For example, "Mom, that forest is dense, I don't think a bunny could even hop in there."  "The park is deserted, I don't want to play by myself.  The park is also bare of people, is that right, Mom?")   If he doesn't know the meaning of a word he asks.  Leaves me floundering and asking Siri to define words because I don't carry a dictionary with me!  I am not good at verbally defining words, although I'm getting better with the practice this one is giving me.

Now for my question...I should just keep exploring words with him naturally, right? I don't need a formal guide, other than a dictionary to help me define words and roots to him. If this interest continues, when might I start something formal?

I am planning on getting "The King who Rained" because I remember it as a child and I think he would find it funny and interesting. http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/0671667440/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER  Are there other books like this we could explore?  

There are tons of resources for fun in this manner:)

I have a dd5 who loves words and origins.

But one of the very first things that popped into my head is that he would love the Brian P. Cleary books. They are light and fun: there are books for parts of speech, homophones, similes, metaphors, palindromes, you name it. Your local library will have them:)

The Ruth Heller books might work, particularly A Cache of Jewels. So many random collective nouns in that one.

Foreign language is fun for kids like this! Even if you don't feel like doing serious language study, any exposure to another language would be great.

Poetry is all about word play. Read poetry with him and check out Wishes, Lies and Dreams for lovely, gentle suggestions to honor kids' poetry writing.

You could watch my phonics lesson 27 yourself and get some of those answers for him.

A good fun book that you could read aloud is "The Word Snoop."

http://www.amazon.com/Word-Snoop-Ursula-Dubosarsky-ebook/dp/B002XW28EY/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1428513975&sr=1-1&keywords=the+word+snoop

we love the word snoop. We used it as a read aloud and then did the activities together.
  • Like 1

It might be good to read to him all kinds of picture books and chapter books, regardless of reading level... let him choose books he likes, and also you choose several books that are above his "reading level"  

He might enjoy seeing his current favorite words printed on a magnetic white board and posted on the fridge.

It could be fun to have a journal for his favorite words that day, stories he makes up, or the best part of his day, etc.

This activity to also be extended to mini books in which he could draw illustrations

Nature journaling is another fun activity which could be in a journal or in mini books.

Obviously you would jot down his words and stories for him.