Menu

NY teen accepted to all 8 Ivies

RootAnn

http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/04/pf/college/immigrant-accepted-all-ivy-league-schools-harold-ekeh/

Hadn't seen it posted yet. "Whatever we set our minds to, we can definitely accomplish it."

Really? Truly? Not to take away from his acceptances, but there are many who set their minds, hearts, and hands who don't accomplish what they set out to...

In reality, aren't a host of other factors involved? Call it luck or the work of the fates... We can call it whatever, but shouldn't we at least acknowledge it's not all under our control? That's what makes times like this stand out, right? So many shoot for the Ivy stars and land elsewhere...it's infinitely more than "setting our minds."  Otherwise, many would be accepted to all 8 Ivies...

• Like 13

I agree with Wendy. I included that quote for the exact purpose that Woodland called it out. Some kids set their minds to something, work their rear ends off, and don't win the Ivy selection lottery. Can't take away from what he's done, but there are probably hundreds (or maybe thousands) of other kids who have done great things who didn't get into even one Ivy.

Gotta give him points for applying at all. He must have thought he had a chance. Wonder which one he'll pick?

• Like 3

I agree with Wendy. I included that quote for the exact purpose that Woodland called it out. Some kids set their minds to something, work their rear ends off, and don't win the Ivy selection lottery. Can't take away from what he's done, but there are probably hundreds (or maybe thousands) of other kids who have done great things who didn't get into even one Ivy.

Gotta give him points for applying at all. He must have thought he had a chance. Wonder which one he'll pick?

I'm not even sure about that, though... Are they really that interchangeable? Doesn't matter which one, as long as it's an Ivy...

Is it good for students to apply to all of them to maybe increase the odds of getting into one of them? (Sometimes just for the sake of saying they got into one.) How does that trickle down to those who have thoughtfully chosen and applied to one or two for specific reasons?

There was a similar article last year, wasn't there?

• Like 3

He's an Intel semi-finalist, speaks three languages, is active in Model UN, and began a mentoring program at his high school.   "Unbridled resolve" as he heard from his family for years has more to do with lots of hard work and persistence than any form of luck.  I would guess that his goal was more about getting into a good university which could foster his continued research and become a neurosurgeon rather than to get accepted into all 8 ivies.  It sounds like he's leaning towards Yale as it's there that he received mentoring which has helped guide him in his path.  He's got amazing options so his decision will likely not be an easy one. 

• Like 4

You very likely DID hear a similar story before. A very similar story.

The young man who got admitted to 8 Ivies last year, 2014, was a first generation immigrant from Ghana.

Yes, and he's the one who chose Yale.  I searched quickly to check if I had this year's senior's correct goal, and saw last year's senior had chosen Yale and assumed it was he.  lol  Very similar interests and all!

"Unbridled resolve" as he heard from his family for years has more to do with lots of hard work and persistence than any form of luck.

Luck or whatever you want to call it still comes into play.  There simply aren't enough slots for all the students with unbridled resolve.

Once again, I'm not saying he didn't work hard. I'm just pointing out that's only part of the story.

• Like 7