Menu

Just want to whine - new town tax on electricity

Denise in Florida

Sometime last fall our town passed a 10% Public Service tax on electricity.  It goes into effect this month.  

I try to stay up on local politics but this one slipped right by me.   :glare:  :scared:

We are very frugal with power consumption (I just posting in the Air Conditioner game thread), but this will blow my summer budget out of whack. 

thanks for reading, I just wanted to whine a bit. :)

I can only imagine how it feels to my neighbors most of whom are retired and on a fixed income. :(

My city waives taxes for seniors on city taxes that were passed (voted). Many seniors do hang out at the library or senior center for the free air-con though.

Still 10% is a big tax hike for you :(

Ours goes up in the summer months-- I have to dry my clothes on the line and try to never use the AC --- just to keep my bills the same in the summer as the winter when I use more electricity.  The one that gets me is the gas-- I don't use much in the summer (only for the water heater) and I pay like $10 for the gas-- but my bill is still 35 (taxes and rental on the meter)