Menu

What's the book about chores where the kids budget...

walkermamaof4

I recall hearing about a book wherein the parents gave their children enough money for everything, including clothing and rent. The child then had to budget the money and pay his own way. Do you know the one I am talking about? I think the parents even used their method with their young children, like 7 and up (whether or not we agree - haha.) Any idea of the title? Thanks.

You might want to investigate some apps for this. A friend uses one and it somehow transfers chores into a dollar amount, but I can't remember the name.

We use todayschores.com for this and I like it ok. I'm trying to think through giving a clothes allowance to at least one of my kids and having them be responsible for their own clothing expenses. But I remember thinking the book seemed so interesting. And I really want to read it but simply can't remember more.

Just a practical warning on this method. I have a friend who does something like this with her kids.

Her kids have now figured out that if they don't use soap, shampoo, etc, they will save money. 

Just saying.

My thinking exactly! 

Here's my predicament. We run a consignment sale. So we buy items at yard sales and thrift stores to sell at the sale. If my teenage daughter likes items she sees at thrift stores, we've always bought them, thinking we'd make money on them anyway when we sell them at our sale. But, now that she is in jr sizes, her items don't sell as well. And, I think I've given her the mentality that if she sees something and likes it, she can have it. She has an absurd amount of really cute clothes. I want to move to a system that encourages her (and us all) to really think about needs and costs and budgets. I just haven't decided my plan yet.

Any ideas?

My kids decided they didn't want money so they didn't need to do chores. Fail here.

this is my kids. The "stick" works much better than the carrot. I assign chores for whining about usual established chores, bickering and not focusing on schoolwork. Paying them to clean my house got very little interest.

You could do it only for clothes. Give your daughter X amount every quarter for clothes [i feel it is a parent's responsibility to clothe a child (in a non trendy utilitarian way)]  and let her decide how to spend it. 

ETA-If she manages to resell any of her clothes to a resale shop or in your sale then she will have extra money for clothes-a win!