Menu

Advice on IKEA beds and mattresses?

ExcitedMama

IKEA is about two hours away from us so I have no idea about anything there but we are considering making the trip to buy a bed and mattress for DD. We are thinking full size. I've never not had a box spring and mattress so is it really just as good to have an IKEA wooden slat bed with mattress? Any experience or advice for looking at IKEA?

Thank you!

some things are sturdy, and some aren't.  it also depends upon how hard on things a person is.

I have a latex mattress with a slat support, just because it has more give than plywood.  box springs are meant to be used with an inner spring mattress - and the box needs to be the mate of the mattress so the springs in each line up.

I have very reserved feelings on a mattress from ikea.  it might be okay in the short term, but I wouldn't expect it to last a long time.  My son is using one his sister bought for herself. (she's since bought a king.)  latex, sure.  depends upon the quality of the latex for how long it will last. a high quality latex mattress can last 20+ years.  after 30 years, my mother got a decent inner spring - then gave it to me, and went back to her latex mattress (which was on an upholstered to match foundation that was nothing more than a plywood box.)

Our family has had five different ikea beds and mattresses over the years and I generally like them. I feel that the metal frame beds from Ikea are easier to assemble and sturdier than the wooden ones, especially when moving. We've had ours for about 10 years and it's still fine, though I'm thinking of replacing the mattress at some point. Don't skimp, I would get the most expensive ikea mattress you can. I like the beds better than other ikea furniture - dressers and tables and such, which don't seem so sturdy. Also, I do like the duvet covers and sheets. They're priced very well!

The slats are fine - we've had beds with slats for quite some time.  Love them.

On a totally different aside... You might check out the outgassing issues with ikea mattresses.  If you're family is not sensitive - no big deal.  If they are (and you may not know till you have a new mattress), it could be problematic.  We found out about DS's sensitivity to outgassing after buying him a new mattress (posturepedic, I think?).  His asthma was out of control, along with other issues. We now have organic wool, flame retardant free mattresses from white lotus.  They're something really cool about sleeping on a handstitched mattress.  :)  They deliver your mattresses personally, too - also cool.  Always use a coupon, they've always got something going.

Hope you find a great new bed for your little one!

We have IKEA beds and mattresses for our boys. We have the KURA bed being used as a bunk. I added an extra pair of slats on the ground for the bottom bunk. Each boy has a MOSHULT mattress. They are the thin foam ones. They are only 2-3 inches thick, but I really really like them. They are very light so it's really easy to change sheets by picking up the whole mattress. We got our first one 4 years ago, and it's still in OK shape. I slept on it alot with my oldest while I was pregnant, and it survived big pregnant me just fine. We will probably replace it in a year or so, but at $80 it's not a big deal to me to have to replace it every 5 years. I love not having a boxspring or big spring mattress to worry about. It is so much simpler and easier. 

bed: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80253814/ 

mattress: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80272351/

DD had an IKEA bed from the time she was about 5 to just recently (entire bedroom set, in fact.) I would highly recommend it.The bed was recently replaced only because we got a loft bed for her (small room, needed to maximize space.)  We chose to buy her mattress from Costco, however.  I remember not being impressed with the ones at IKEA.