Menu

Brainstorming science in everyday life

KeriJ

Since I ruined my stove yesterday with a pre-planned science demonstration, it got me thinking about looking for more ways to demonstrate science concepts in everyday life rather than doing these "experiments/demonstrations".  I'm sure this exists somewhere in some curriculum.  But I was hoping to compile some simple ideas here.

For instance, instead of the complicated stove experiment we did, we could have just looked around at water outside to see where it beaded up and where it spread out.  (if I had read the end of the lesson first, I could have saved my stove)

I know that Mr. Q Advanced Chemistry is based primarily on actual kitchen recipes. (cookies, cake etc.)

Another one: we own a piano, flute, violin, dulcimer, guitar and recorder.  I'm thinking that those could cover a ton of physics concepts.  (someone just needs to get me started)

An existing garden provides numerous lessons.

And I realize not everyone has access to all the same things, and what is simple to one might be complicated to another.  But at least we could get each other thinking.

ETA:  I don't want to gather or create lessons.  I just want to use things we are already familiar with for examples.  For instance when reading about levers, "Hey, let's look inside the piano to see what that looks like."  or plants, "Remember what happened in Daddy's garden last week?"  or "We saw that at the zoo the other day."

What else?

The obvious science involving musical instruments is sound. Of course, instruments are not strictly necessary. You could use a cardboard box (or even a book), a pencil, and some rubber bands, to demonstrate the basics.  Looking inside the piano is more fun though.  Violins, dulcimers, and guitars are all string instruments.  Why don’t they sound the same? 

Physical science is easiest because we can see the applications.  Simple machines you use everyday?

Kitchen/food chemistry? 

• Like 1

Check out Alton Brown's Good Eats show, if you can.  Some of the episodes are available on Netflix, and your library might be able to get some through inter-library loan (if they don't have them).  He also has some "cookbooks" that I particularly like -- they are about HOW cooking works and organized by method.  They are not main-ingredient-sorted recipe collections.

:bigear:   I'm curious,too to see what people come up with.

Try googling "sludge lab" to see what they do with these.  DH mentioned he did one back in high school (I had never heard of them before), and it sounds like something we would enjoy.  You can either make your own or read up on it and then find real-life examples.  It seems to me that it could be a good example of possible forensic science.

So, if you want to make bread or pizza you could mention that a chemical reaction can occur.  When you mix flour, water and yeast, substances are mixed together that will break or create new molecular bonds.  Once in the oven, heat will change the molecular bonds. 

I'm sure there's more to it than that.  Perhaps someone else can add more info.  :)

:bigear:  too.