Menu

I'm moving ahead with weight loss surgery

ktgrok

Do you mind if I ask, what is the diet like? Is it very digestible or high or low in fiber etc? Or is it super high nutrient? Or is it just low calorie to get you used to smaller portions later on? I am just curious about how they get you ready for what happens next. And I mean the general parameters, you don't have to type out a daily diet or anything like that.

It's designed to use up the glycogen stores in your liver making the liver smaller and easier to work with in surgery (the liver is over the stomach and has to be moved out of the way) and it also for decreasing the amount of fat around your organs making visibility easier. It's low calorie, low carb, low fat, and high protein. I actually wrote up a lot of it on my blog, if you are curious. 

It's designed to use up the glycogen stores in your liver making the liver smaller and easier to work with in surgery (the liver is over the stomach and has to be moved out of the way) and it also for decreasing the amount of fat around your organs making visibility easier. It's low calorie, low carb, low fat, and high protein. I actually wrote up a lot of it on my blog, if you are curious. 

It's very important to get enough electrolytes, especially sodium, when you're in ketosis. That weight was mostly the water that was tied into the glycogen stores. I think it's 4 molecules of water for every molecule of glycogen. and the average person stores about 100g of glycogen in their liver.

When that water leaves, it takes electrolytes with it. When I'm in ketosis, I occasionally just drink a glass of salt water to catch up. Another useful item are electrolyte drops or tablets like Powerade drops or Nuun tablets, available at the grocery. (Look in the bottled water or sports drink section.) They are 1g carbs/serving. I don't know if that's allowed on your diet, but it makes a huge difference in how you feel.

You can also use Morton's Lite Salt (50% potassium chloride) or Nusalt (100% potassium chloride) to get more potassium. Most potassium-rich foods are carb, like bananas.

For magnesium, I use Magnesium chloride liquid. It tastes pretty bad, but the tablets cover the taste pretty well.

I make a drink in which I drop a Nuun tablet, add 1/8 tsp Morton's Lite Salt, and 1/2 tsp Magnesium chloride liquid. 

Ignore all of this if it's against doctor's orders. Just an idea because when people start to flag in ketosis, it's usually because of electrolyte loss. Even a glass of plain salt water helps.

It's very important to get enough electrolytes, especially sodium, when you're in ketosis. That weight was mostly the water that was tied into the glycogen stores. I think it's 4 molecules of water for every molecule of glycogen. and the average person stores about 100g of glycogen in their liver.

When that water leaves, it takes electrolytes with it. When I'm in ketosis, I occasionally just drink a glass of salt water to catch up. Another useful item are electrolyte drops or tablets like Powerade drops or Nuun tablets, available at the grocery. (Look in the bottled water or sports drink section.) They are 1g carbs/serving. I don't know if that's allowed on your diet, but it makes a huge difference in how you feel.

You can also use Morton's Lite Salt (50% potassium chloride) or Nusalt (100% potassium chloride) to get more potassium. Most potassium-rich foods are carb, like bananas.

For magnesium, I use Magnesium chloride liquid. It tastes pretty bad, but the tablets cover the taste pretty well.

I make a drink in which I drop a Nuun tablet, add 1/8 tsp Morton's Lite Salt, and 1/2 tsp Magnesium chloride liquid. 

Ignore all of this if it's against doctor's orders. Just an idea because when people start to flag in ketosis, it's usually because of electrolyte loss. Even a glass of plain salt water helps.

Where were you before?? Seriously though, this is so true. In fact, my blood work came back low sodium. Since then I've started having some salty broth, or even just licking some better than bouillon (the lower sodium kind, it's still quite a lot of salt) off a spoon. Also salting food more, and yes, I did one day do the 1/2 tsp salt in water thing. It tasted amazing, tell me yes, I needed it. I'm finding that when I think I'm craving food, sometimes it is just the salt I want. Getting a bit of bouillon or broth in me stops the craving. I picked up some G2 lower sugar gatorade for after surgery, but should get some nu salt as well. i have magnesium here also. 

• Like 1