Menu

Beast Academy doesn't have a TM?

displace

I was browsing Beast Academy and only saw a text and workbook guide for the levels.  Are there no TM?  I mean, I feel pretty comfortable in math, but I'm even using a TM in first to make sure I introduce the topics thoroughly and present everything.

Also, the answers have pretty through explanations...not just the actual "answer" - a few times on some of the harder problems, my not-so-creative brain could only think of a complicated, time consuming way to solve a problem. In order to help my DS, I had to read the answers to see the creative/elegant way they intended for the problem to be solved. :-)

• Like 4

I agree with others -- a TM is not needed. And is also agree that the detailed solutions at the back are gold. After struggling with a problem, my dd and I enjoy the moment where we get to "see how the beasts did it." Sometimes multiple ways of solving a problem are presented, and as a result of this exposure I've noticed an increase in my dd's willingness to try different approaches. Beast is amazing!

• Like 3

There is incidental practice from doing the problems in the workbook, but they aren't practiced systematically. We have found xtramath to be great for this. DS7 just finished all four operations on the six second speed, and now he will go back and do them all on the faster three second speed.

• Like 3

I have found I really need to read ahead to be able to teach. If I try and just read it to my daughter I sound lost...because sometimes I really am! They cover a lot of math I never was taught or quickly forgot! I do get it pretty quick after I read through it. I like this program and the extra stuff it is teaching my 8 yo about math and the 8 yo is loving the break from MM.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

How does Beast Academy reinforce multiplication and division facts? Is that something you do on the side?

we did multiplication and division from Singapore 3A.  I didn't like the way Beast approached multiplication / division.  The skip counting thing was almost too tedious and she was ready to learn the long division algorithm.