Menu

Who has tried Problem-Based learning?

anabelneri

Hello all!  I'm researching problem-based learning (not project-based learning) and I know some folks here have looked at it in the past.  What's the latest word on this?  I'd love to be able to do it with my 1st grader and some of her 1st/2nd grade friends, but I'm nervous about trying it without some hand-holding.  Has anyone used the Prufrock Press units?  They don't look very PBLish to me, but it's hard to tell.  And all the RFWP units look like they're for older kids.

Thanks!

Anabel

I have looked at RFWP's problem based learning every single year since I started home schooling my kids. Each year I want to buy one and do it, and have not done so. I think I'm going to this year, but then again, I may chicken out again. Yes, I chicken out. If I could get a group of kids together to do it, I think it would be awesome, but alone, I'm not so sure. That is why I chicken out. 

I'm curious to see what others have to say too.

Angie

Listening in.... what is RFWP? (And here I thought I knew all the acronyms!)

(This caught my eye because I just heard of problem based learning for the first time two days ago: a friend was telling me about how Australians do med school. Now I'm intrigued...)

I have looked at RFWP's problem based learning every single year since I started home schooling my kids. Each year I want to buy one and do it, and have not done so. I think I'm going to this year, but then again, I may chicken out again. Yes, I chicken out. If I could get a group of kids together to do it, I think it would be awesome, but alone, I'm not so sure. That is why I chicken out. 

I'm curious to see what others have to say too.

Angie

I've bought and not used two of these now.  I've concluded that I just can't make packaged PBL's work.  We have to create our own.