Menu

Principles of Engineering/Project Lead the Way Text: Homeschool Friendly?

I found out about this text (Principles of Engineering by Handley/Coon/Marshall) by reading old threads, and I am tempted to purchase it.

ETA: textbook link

http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Engineering-Project-Lead-Way/dp/1435428366/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426343666&sr=8-1&keywords=principles+of+engineering+handley

Has anyone actually used it? Seen it? Is it homeschool friendly? Would the lack of a solutions manual send me over the edge?

We would like to incorporate an Intro to Engineering course into our homeschool. DS is interested, and DH and I both have engineering degrees. Nevertheless, I have no desire to work out problems that can't be checked in a solutions manual.

• Like 1

I found out about this text (Principles of Engineering by Handley/Coon/Marshall) by reading old threads, and I am tempted to purchase it.

ETA: textbook link

http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Engineering-Project-Lead-Way/dp/1435428366/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426343666&sr=8-1&keywords=principles+of+engineering+handley

Has anyone actually used it? Seen it? Is it homeschool friendly? Would the lack of a solutions manual send me over the edge?

We would like to incorporate an Intro to Engineering course into our homeschool. DS is interested, and DH and I both have engineering degrees. Nevertheless, I have no desire to work out problems that can't be checked in a solutions manual.

there is a workbook

ISBN-10: 1435428366

You can sometimes find the instructor's CD used on amazon. The ISBN is 9781435428386. I considered it because it was specifically written for high school, not college. In the end, we opted to go a different direction. Ds wanted to add another round of physics as he had already picked an area of interest in engineering. 

• Like 1

elegantlion, THANK YOU! An old post of yours led me to the book :) Thanks for chiming in.

Wow, how did I not know about this 7-day Kindle trial thing? :hurray:

I presume the books just vanish on their own after 7 days w/no action required. Good golly, what an awesome feature.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The 7-day Kindle trial was perfect.  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

There was a lot that I liked about the book.  We were MechE majors, and there is a lot of MechE content.  But there were far fewer problems than I expected.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...