Menu

Encyclopedias?

Hi

I'm using CLE LA 300 and it's made me realize that we need either a set of encylopedias (if such a thing exists anymore and I'm really not interested in having so many books) or the digital equivalent.  So far Google has helped us, but that mostly shows up Wikipedia, and of course it can be unreliable.  Can you give me suggestions on websites, digital encyclopedias, etc.? We have some Kingfisher encyclopedias so she gets the idea of the real thing, but I'd like to know what we should use for future reference.  

I vote for a real encyclopedia set, we have the 2001 Worldbook set picked up at a library book sale, my kids regularly pick up those books to look things up or just to read through, they have learned all kinds of things from articles that just happened to catch their interest while browsing through. An encyclopedia on the computer isn't the same.

• Like 2

I got mine when I asked at the local library when they planned to replace their World Book, and they realized it was overdue. A couple of months later, the old one was in my house for $20. :)

I agree with others that the browsing value of the printed copy is worth the shelf space.

• Like 2

We have a discarded set of the World Book too! It's been totally worth it. Some of my best memories are of hanging out in the library after school browsing the encyclopedias. My husband grew up with an older set at home too, and has the same association. :)

I love having a set of encyclopedias.  We have the World Book set.  If you can't get a set from your library, look on ebay.  There are used sets right now for under $200 with free shipping.  While I would have loved to have gotten a set for $20, I ended up spending a lot more than that buying used on Ebay and I definitely think it was money well spent.  We use the encyclopedia regularly both when homeschooling and when just talking around the dinner table.  They don't take up as much space on the book shelf as you think and I actually think I buy fewer books because we have them.  It makes using open ended curriculum so much easier.  If we don't have a book on a specific topic at hand, it's easy to start with the encyclopedia to address the immediate question and then go to the library to get more books if needed.

• Like 1

We love having a set of encyclopedias, my kids have actually used them quite a bit.  We got our set for free at a garage sale.  It was the end of the day, and when I asked how much for the set of encyclopedias they said please just take them!  Ours is an older set (1986 I think), so I remind the kids that for certain things, they should check their info with another, more recent source.