Menu

Workbook grammar for 1st Grade

MeaganS

My dd would likely do better with grammar in workbook format than what we are currently using. Are there any workbook grammar-only programs besides GWG? WWE is working well for her and she needs no more writing instruction than that and she is reading well above a 1st grade level and doesn't need reading instruction either, so I'm not interested in combined LA programs. Also, did any of you like GWG? It seems to get a lot of negative reviews.

You could also just drop grammar for Gr. 1 and pick it up later.

ETA: I don't know how much I would expect a Gr. 1 student to do independently in a workbook. Yours could be very different, but mine needed me beside her all of the time to make sure that she was copying correctly and forming her letters correctly. I found that our writing program (WWE) gave us all of the grammar she *needed* for that stage, and have only just started back with some formal grammar study now at the end of Gr. 2. It wouldn't bother me at all to wait until Gr. 3 or 4 to start grammar as a formal, stand-alone subject, as my goals for the early elementary years are to develop an understanding of sentence structure and punctuation through copywork and dictation.

I am one of the few people who posts here who actually likes GWG.  My oldest didn't like it at all, but my middle child enjoys it (and yes, she is getting it and remembering it).  I haven't tried it with a first grader though, so I can't comment on that age.  My goal for grammar is for it to be quick, easy to do, and easy to repeat every year.  I want the basics covered, which GWG does.

ETA:  My oldest really disliked diagramming, while my middle child seems to enjoy it - that may be the difference in why one liked it and the 2nd didn't.  My youngest child hasn't started yet.  My oldest is doing Easy Grammar Plus this year, which doesn't have diagramming, and she is easily coasting through that book.

I'm not looking for independence. FLL would work well for her except auditory learning and "gentle" styles aren't very effective for her. She does best with explicit instruction and a task in front of her. If i don't end up with a workbook program I like, I'll probably just come up with a list of facts and definitions to memorize and attempt to use them in our other work when they come up.