Menu

scarce resource question: Dolciani pre-algebra

I wanted to check out Dolciani's Pre-Algebra since I read so much about it here in the forums, but it appears to be a scarce resource.  I can find some student books on Amazon, but the teacher books, if available at all anywhere, appear to be priced in the hundreds to thousands of dollars.  I also can't find offerings of the answer key, text books, or any other support material (if any).  Given this, is the student book alone enough (contains answers to the exercises, might have quizzes or tests), or were certain key portions of the complete curriculum in the teacher book or other supplements?  I don't want to go to the expense to buy an older, out-of-print student book to cover a main skill if I can't get ahold of needed elements.  Will the student book stand alone, or shall I look to other pre-algebra sources?

Thanks!

Some of the student editions contain answers to odd-numbered questions. Most posts that I have read said that that has been enough practice for their kids.

ETA: Another popular alternative is Margaret Lial's Pre-Algebra. It is also available cheaply and has a student solutions manual.

Thanks to both you and Wapiti for answering so quickly! 

And thanks for supplying links for the Lial's.  I've been reading good things about it, too, so I just ordered it, with the solutions manual and a set of DVD lectures.  The new books are cheaper than the used Dolciani copies I've found offered, and the video lectures might be helpful, too.  I'm also a little easier in the mind about the publication date being more recent than Dolciani's.  I know that there are lots of great resources that are out of print, but when it comes to main school subjects I rest a little easier with either more contemporary sources or sources for which I know the reason they are no longer available.

• Like 1