Menu

Greenville, SC

purplejackmama

The children's museum is nice but expensive. There's a park ... I forget the name of it ... that has a river running down the middle of it, with a cool pedestrian bridge and lots of green space. Furman University is just outside of town with a beautiful lake with a walking trail around it. Downtown has nice shops and restaurants, but I'm not sure how kid friendly it is.

• Like 1

The downtown park is beautiful and is called Falls Park on the Reedy.  Downtown also has great restaurants and really cool shops.  I would say most are kid-friendly.  It's a friendly, laid-back town in general.

Greenville is an awesome city--we used to live in its suburbs.  

Enjoy your time there!

• Like 2

If you're going this spring, BJU may be doing another Living Gallery, where they bring art work to life.  It's pretty phenomenal.  There's a Dickens exhibit downtown at the museum and of course the bridge.  Ask where the locals eat BBQ.  Apparently it is very good.  

BMW is near there.  Maybe you can take a tour?  Yup, just checked, you can!  That would be cool.  And of course look up Greenville on Tripadvisor to get the scoop.

Me, I'd skip town and drive out to the beach and do Charleston.  :D  You can also take daytrips to Atlanta, go white water rafting (the national facility is near there somewhere), hike Paris Mtn, etc.  Both GHC and TTD will be having conventions there (Greenville/Spartanburg), so you could check those dates. 

• Like 1

I LIVE THERE!!

I would recommend looking at the state parks in the area. They have some amazing state parks and the water in the parks is clean and ok for swimming/wading (unlike the river downtown! Do not get in that! That water is dirty)

There is also a lot of great hiking and other outdoor activities.

http://m.southcarolinaparks.com/

I think the lakes here have better swimming than the beaches, the beaches are rough.

We are running out the door but I can post more later.

• Like 2

Greenville has the prettiest downtown I have ever seen. Falls Park is very nice, keep an eye on the calendar for local events and Shakespeare in the park.

It is also good to check when there are nearby Bluegrass events in the surrounding areas.

There is one in Aiken, SC in May.

https://www.aikenbluegrassfestival.org/

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/calendar/calendar.aspx

Asheville is an hour north in the mountains and on the Blue Ridge Parkway, you will want to see that, Ashville has a lot of local crafts and good farm to table restaurants and microbreweries. If you have a kid that is Hunger Games crazy you can actually go on tours of some of the filming sites for the first Hunger Games movie. The Biltmore Estate is in Asheville, it is a historic Vanderbilt mansion with extensive grounds and a lot of things to do around it. It is pretty pricey though.

If your family likes biking Greenville has some very nice bike trails.

We like doing geocaching in the state parks, they send you to fun places sometimes.

There are some Revolutionary war battlefields nearby, King's Mountain, and Cowpens as well as Muskgrove Mill. There is a Confederate Museum in Greenville, it is mostly a research museum with several artifacts. It is in a small house, not a ton of room if you have kids that run amok. I would try to do that with adults if you want to go.

There are some amazing parks in NC as well just over the state line. Greenville is very close to North Carolina and Georgia, either one could be a good day trip. If you want to do white water rafting then you are going to want to go to Charlotte NC it is just 1 1/2 hour away. http://usnwc.org/ That is where the white water rafting event was held for the Atlanta Olympics. It is an easy drive and you drive by the huge peach water tower in Gaffney SC from which Kevin Spacey's character in House of Cards hails. :lol: If you are driving along, minding your business and see a huge butt out of nowhere that is supposed to be a peach.

Atlanta is 2 hours away so one can also keep that in mind for a daytrip. There is a six flags in Atlanta as well as the Cocoa-Cola museum and tons of other things. I have heard the Cocoa-Cola museum is AMAZING but I have not been there, I am going to a show in Atlanta in April and I am thinking about checking it out then,

So...when looking at fun things keep in mind that Atlanta and Charlotte are not far, and Columbia SC is 1 1/2 hour away as well. Columbia has the better zoo. The zoo in Greenville is terrible.

Charleston is about 4 hours away so that may involve a hotel but there are many things there to do such as Ft Sumter, we saw the Hunley when we were there which is the Civil War era submarine, there are historic plantations there, a tea farm, some battleships, there are a lot of things to do in Charleston. It is just further away than some other things and I don't think the beach is really worth it. There are some amazing historic homes. One can go dolphin and whale watching from Charleston. We saw several dolphins while we were on the boat to Ft Sumter so I don't know that I would do that. I would visit in the spring when the plantation gardens are blooming. Charleston is a very old city and if one loves history one can barely walk through downtown without tripping over some place of significance. Some of the swampy areas have alligators, they will usually warn you if they are around. I have a kid that always wants to run amok so that is always on my mind when we are in the area. :lol:

if you are here in May Greenville hosts Artisphere May 8-10 it is a great art festival. They also have fun things for kids to do

http://www.artisphere.us/

Check on things with Roper Mountain Science Center, they may have cool camp things your kids may want to do (they have great camps, people love them) and they have tours and let kids see animals, hold snakes and baby alligators. I think one of my son's favorite days ever was there. Snakes and alligators are his favorite things.

http://www.ropermountain.org/#_=_

Also check the events at the local state parks (I linked the website in previous post) on when you will be here, they often have really fun classes. My kids went to a class where they all waded in the river with nets and then looked at what they caught under microscopes. My son caught a baby salamander, he was thrilled!

Phone typing sorry if that is bad.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I only just saw this, but we live in Greenville. I will just come in to echo Startibartfast! It's a fabulous place, and we love it. The Children's Museum really isn't expensive, compared to other similar-type places. BJU *is* doing their Living Gallery (we live down the street from them, so I see the billboard every. single. day. Lol. 

Adorable zoo, with an amazing park on the same grounds. TONS of a great parks, actually. 

Lovely dining downtown. There's a little dinner theatre that we love going to - they change their shows twice a year, I think. They did a spoof on Duck Dynasty last year, that was called "Duct Tape Dynasty", which was hilarious, and the last one we went to see was a hilarious murder/mystery show... and the food is great. 

Upcountry History Museum is downtown, too - actually right next to the Children's Museum - as is the Children's Theatre, and a very kid-friendly art museum.

Baseball season starts soon, too!

BMW does offer tours of the factory, but only for ages 12+, I think.

• Like 1

Yes! I PM'd you. Just let me know where you're situated and staying, and I can meet for a playdate. Unfortunately not this week or weekend, as we have a homeschool dance, comic con, and a soccer game, but after this weekend, we're free and clear!

Keep an eye on the Greenville Drive's facebook. Every spring they sell these family passes that have four baseball tickets, four waterpark tickets, four zoo tickets, and four children's museum tickets. The children's museum can be pretty pricey but it's nice I would recommend it, the passes are cheaper than getting a family of four to that alone.