Menu

Wanted: Great Courses Reviews

There is a nice sale going on now, and I'm perennially tempted by Great Courses.  Anybody used any of these? Can you give me a review?

Life Lessons from the Great Myths - Rufus Fears

Ancient Greek civilization - Jeremy McInerney

Late Antiquity: Crisis and Transformation - Thomas Noble

Shakespeare: Comedies, Histories and Tragedies - Peter Saccio

Terror of History: Mystics, Heretics and Witches in the Western Tradition - Teofilo Ruiz

Emperors of Rome - Garrett Fagan

The Science of Self - Lee Silver

Right, I forgot about that great thread!  Thanks for reminding me.  Still hoping for input on these, though.  I had Shannon go through the most recent catalog and she pointed out The Science of Self which I had never even looked at, but I think it will be an awesome supplement to our biology studies next year.  She adores Shakespeare, so that's kind of a no-brainer.  I really like the looks of Life Lessons from the Greek Myths, but we're already going to be using Vandiver's Mythology course, and I'm not sure how much overlap there is between the two.  I tend to really enjoy multiple perspectives on whatever topic I'm studying, but I don't want to beat it into the ground for an 8th grader.

I don't have any of those, but Rufus Fears is very engaging and a general favorite of mine. I only have audio courses from him, but you can see video lectures here: 

Note: the above links to a completely free 18-lecture series on American History, The Story of Freedom. 

• Like 3

If you get good reviews, it might be good to get Lisa to update her Great Courses Master List.

I haven't used any of the ones you listed. I admit to getting the last few via Audible as I didn't need the video & I have more time for the audio anyway...

Lisa should do that, shouldn't she? :D

The panic in registering for next year and sorting out spring testing is almost over and then I'll work on updating the master list. I also owe some help to a few members for ancient world history.

Rose, you need to listen to Fears on your own to make your decision. I have a love/hate relationship with his lectures. He's a marvelous story teller, but some of his editorializing gives me acid reflux. You are either a fan or not.

• Like 2

I cannot handle Mr. Fears.  I am sure he is a delightful man, but he just grates on me. 

I have found that we discover professors that we really enjoy and that is what makes the series great.  Often, the content can be quite nice, but it is the delivery that really resonates.  I have a list now and it seems to work quite well.

• Like 3

We like Saccio and his very dramatic delivery and Thomas Noble is excellent. I would call him more "old school" and I don't mean that in a derogatory way. Late Antiquity may be more detail than you student wants or not. If so, you can always use his Foundations of Western Civilization 1. Don't forget Daileader for the Middle Ages.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I will have to say that I am officially Not A Fan of Fears.  I'm going to return Life Lessons from the Great Myths and just stick with Vandiver's Classical Mythology.  I found Fears kind of dull and drony - I keep tuning him out and missing chunks - and I'm also disappointed that most of his lectures are just retelling the stories.  Um, we're reading them? We don't need you to tell us what they say, we are looking for some discussion/analysis.  What analysis is offered, I find wanting.  I think he's too Euro-Greek-American-centric for my purposes. And when he talks about the old testament as legitimate history, that was just the last straw.

Just offering my own review for posterity's sake, in case someone stumbles on this thread in future.  YMMV, of course.  :)

• Like 1

Ds asked to check out "The Holy Land Revealed" from the library last week. Not being one to try and stifle any of his interests - even though I was a bit skeptical about Biblical Lands being "revealed" - we checked it out. It is good. Like really good. The lady has all sorts of maps, images, and moving graphics describing the land of Canaan (Palistine, Syria, Jordan, Isreal, Anatolia). She is an archeologist which found herself interested in the area. So she goes through and directly talks to the Biblical record versus the archeological record and what seems like mig have gone down when compared to the places today. We are totally into it! In fact, up until this I had not considered that we basically had studied just about all the Ancients areas but this one.

I watched an amazing Coursera class on Bible and history last year, and learned a ton.  Totally fascinating.  Which is partly why I knew that a lot of the stuff Fears is saying is not accepted by mainstream historians.  I love myths, and I think they are an expression of social, cultural, and historical reality, but it bugs me when the lecturer just kind of flippantly claims historicity for Biblical mythology.  The story of David, of Joseph, of the Patriarchs can be understood as foundational myths with important life lessons to teach without trying to claim specific dates and events - not supported by the historical record - for them.  And the editorializing got to me, too.  "Some" people just don't want freedom, and never had, they've always had strong man leaders and always will.   But "we" - the heirs of the Greeks - do, and so by implication we're better, more culturally advanced? That was the implication at least.  Just not the spin I'm looking for.

• Like 2