Menu

Themes to Remember I...first day went FABULOUS! Thanks Jessica/Trivium!

A.J. at J.A.

We started the Themes to Remember Volume I today that came recommended to me last year by Jessica at Trivium Academy.

I incorporated her schedule from her blog, Trivium Academy Themes to Remember Review, which made it a lot easier to visualize what our Music Apprec would look like.

After our segment on Vivaldi, my oldest (9yr) looked at me and said, school is fun this year. :D Yeah!

Anyway, thanks so much Jessica!

Angela

I thought this program looked great and was so tempted to buy it, but one thing held me back. I don't know if I want my kids to be thinking of the lyrics that she wrote every time that they hear those songs for the rest of their lives. Does it play a piece and only the first minute or so has lyrics? I never watched Fantasia because a friend told me that ever after watching it she saw little critters dancing around whenever she heard the pieces in the movie.

Those of you that have used this, help me out. Do you think this would be a problem down the road in terms of the words playing over and over? I don't want a 45 year old son calling me in the nursing home to tell me I ruined his enjoyment of classical music because he keeps hearing little kid lyrics whenever he turns on the PBS radio ;)

I thought this program looked great and was so tempted to buy it, but one thing held me back. I don't know if I want my kids to be thinking of the lyrics that she wrote every time that they hear those songs for the rest of their lives. Does it play a piece and only the first minute or so has lyrics? I never watched Fantasia because a friend told me that ever after watching it she saw little critters dancing around whenever she heard the pieces in the movie.

Those of you that have used this, help me out. Do you think this would be a problem down the road in terms of the words playing over and over? I don't want a 45 year old son calling me in the nursing home to tell me I ruined his enjoyment of classical music because he keeps hearing little kid lyrics whenever he turns on the PBS radio ;)

It's actually very well done in that for each portion of music there is one track without any words and the next track on the cd has the words. So you could very easily not sing the words to it. In fact, my guy asked if he could please take the music upstairs to his room and listen to it while he colors. DH happens to be a classical music buff so we had the entire Four Seasons composition on cd and I told DS he could listen to that.

My guys actually enjoyed the words and since it truly only corresponds to such a small part of the entire concerto & composition, I can't see it would harm their enjoyment in the future.

Blessings,

Angela

I don't want a 45 year old son calling me in the nursing home to tell me I ruined his enjoyment of classical music because he keeps hearing little kid lyrics whenever he turns on the PBS radio ;)

That's a problem that I would LOVE to have! The lyrics are about the composition or composer and sometimes about how the song evokes feelings, they aren't just catchy cute tunes like Beethoven's Wig.

Beethoven's Wig for Beethoven's 5th Symphony

1. Beethoven's Wig

Beethoven's Wig is very big

Beethoven's wig is long and curly and it's white

Beethoven takes his wig off when he sleeps at night

Because it's big

It's very big

Beethoven's wig is big

It's really big

Beethoven's wig is heavy when he takes a walk

His wig is even bigger than the wig of Bach

It is tremendous it is stupendous

It is gigantic and titanic

Monumental and colossal

And enormous and humongous

Cause it's big it's really big

It's very big it's mighty big Beethoven's Wig

It's oh so wide you'll need a guide

To see each side it's really big

It's grandiose don't get too close you'll overdose

Because it's big. Big!

Beethoven's Wig is big!

It's stylish and it's handsome

It costs a small king's ransom

Five hundred bucks and then some

But the hair's so long and flowing

That the wig seems like it's growing

And it keeps his face from showing

Poor Beethoven's wig needs mowing

Cause Beethoven's wig is big

Beethoven's wig is very big it's oh so big

It's filled with goo it's such a problem to shampoo

It's really very, very big

Beethoven's wig is very big, it's awful big

It's such a mess it even has it's own address

Beethoven's wig

It's such a mop he should stop at the barbershop

It's way too big

His mother called she said he would look better bald

Because it's big it's very big. Beethoven's wig!

Lyrics: Richard Perlmutter

Music: Beethoven¹s 5th Symphony by Ludwig Von Beethoven

© 2002 Radio Play Music, ASCAP

Now from Themes to Remember Book 1

Symphony No. 5, Mvt. 1

Beethoven's Fifth, Beethoven's Fifth...

Beethoven's Fifth, Beethoven's Fifth, Beethoven's Fifth,

Beethoven's Fifth, Beethoven's Fifth, Beethoven's Fifth,

Beethoven's Fifth (Beethoven's Fifth)

Beethoven's Fifth (Beethoven's Fifth)

Beethoven's Fifth, Fifth, Fifth...

(Pretend you are a great conductor of a symphony orchestra and "conduct" Beethoven's Fifth.)

From Themes to Remember Vol. 2

Symphony No. 5 Mvt. 2

Movement two, always soft and slow,

But please don't go!

Beethoven's Fifth will clear your mind!

Great peace you'll find,

Leave cares behind!

Come and try it,

Peace and quiet.

Sing along,

It will calm you, soothe you,

Make your blues fly away,

Yes, it will calm you,

And soothe you,

And make your blue fly away,

Blue fly away,

You'll have a wonderful day.

Symphony No. 5 Mvt 3

Beethoven's Fifth Symphony again.

Movement three will now begin!

Please open your ears and eyes,

But not your mouth!

Ludwig has a treat for you!

Symphony Five, Symphony Five,

Beethoven's Fifth,

Play it again,

Symphony Five, Symphony Five,

Beethoven's Fifth,

Play it again, again

Play it again, again

Again, again, again.

Stirs your blood and clears your brain,

Time to play the Fifth again!

and the final movement is in Classical Karaoke for Kids

Symphony No. 5 Mvt 4

Beethove, this is farewell, so long to the Fifth Symphony.

I like the first and second movements a whole bunch,

And Movement Three moves right along with lots of punch,

But Movement Four is best of all; I always sing it during lunch!

Tra la la la la, la la la la, la la la la.

Tra la la la la, la la la la, la la la la.

Symphony number five,

Makes my heart come alive,

Fills my soul with wonder and praise,

To God our voices we raise.

We'll fly with the birds and

Run with the wind,

And shine like the sun...

La la la la, la la la la, la la la la.

La la la la, la la la la,

La la la la, la la la la...

Hope this helps

Those of you that have used this, help me out. Do you think this would be a problem down the road in terms of the words playing over and over?

My grandmother was taught with this method in elementary school in Manhattan in the 1930s, and she never complains. In fact, she doesn't remember all the lyrics. She only remembers the parts of them that she used over and over again -- the names, composers and dates of the compositions.

I find that as time goes by (we've had Themes to Remember for a few years) this is true for me, too. Peer Gynt was the first song we studied. I recognize it when I hear it, but I don't remember all the words . . . just that it's something about trolls and caves.

Like Jessica, I appreciate that the lyrics have something to do with the music, and aren't just pure silliness. I really wouldn't want to envision a pimply kid saying "Hey guitar teacher thanks for assigning this song . . . " every time I hear Bourree for the rest of my life.

Funny _we just started it today too. I only have volume 2 right now though. We did all of the Four Seasons by Vivaldi and talked a bit about the baroque period. Later in the day, we looked up the songs on youtube and listened to just the songs.

He's my audio learner and he just loved it!

I have ordered this book, but was thinking of getting the teachers guide as well. Do you think it would be helpful?

Thanks!

I am not familiar with the teacher's guide and really don't feel like it would be needed. My plan is to just work through the segment in the Themes book where it talks about the composer, then listen to the music segment. The next day we will read a book or two from the library about the composer and maybe listen to a longer version of the music presented the previous day or to another composition of that composer. That's all I'm planning.

When I reviewed the product, I couldn't really tell what the Teacher's book would add in value. It might be really beneficial, I'm just not familiar enough with it and feel like we've got a good plan so far. If you decide to get it, let me know what you think. :D

Angela

This is exactly what I've been thinking. Everytime I hear Fur Elise, I hear the McDonald's commercial. :glare: I would be afraid that they would not be able to enjoy the music because of the jingle. I'm sure that it does help the kids remember the melody of the piece. I guess it just depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Paula

I guess it just depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Paula

I find your comment very condescending.

Here is why we study composers and their compositions:

In music study we are building the principle of attentiveness and good observation. The goal is not to have children who can give a lecture on music theory. It is to have children learn to enjoy classical music and tell one piece from another just as naturally as they learn the difference between, say, The Farmer in the Dell and When the Saints Go Marching In - because they are both familiar with and fond of what they are hearing.

The more they are exposed to good literature, the better they get at reading the themes and language of literature. In art and music, the more they are simply exposed to pictures and music, the more they learn to 'read' the themes of the world's classic compositions.

With reading we don't begin with the mechanics, the grammar and punctuation, nor we do we begin with a biography of Beatrix Potter before we read Peter Rabbit. With music, we should begin in much the same way - with simple exposure. Our children may read and be familiar with Beatrix Potter's children's stories for years before we would move on to Shakespeare, biographies, the history of "English Literature." So they can simply play around with music, listening to it, plinking away on musical instruments without being burdened with facts about the lives of composers, music theory, technique, and composition.

In other words, those of us who do nothing much more than play the tapes and CDs, occasionally humming along, of each term's composers, need not feel guilty. =) You might try leaving the radio on your classical music station sometimes (we do this) and after a while you too will know the delight of hearing one of your children say, "Mom! That was Faure'!" And then you can know the humility of having to say, "who?" =)

-from AmblesideOnline.org

In the end, it is to enrich our children's lives, to expose them to the good and worthwhile while they are still young. I'm not trying to raise musical prodigies, although it has enhanced my dd's love of music greatly.

Thanks for posting some of the lyrics. I was picturing silly jingles; what was posted seem tasteful and relavent to remembering the important points of the song.

Everytime I hear the Tiny Toons music all I can do is sing that silly song and I can never remember what the song really is or who the composer is-I didn't want to do that to my children. Now that I've read this post though, I'm thinking that Themes to Remember is much different than that and would be a valuable part of our curriculum.

Thanks again!

Why oh why did I have to read this thread?! I was going along peacefully, ignoring this thread, not having a clue what Themes to Remember was, and sure it was something I'd not be interested in. Then, something happened and I clicked. :glare: :D

My girls were looking over my shoulder as I was checking it out, and now I am 56 dollars poorer. They said they didn't care if it was for younger kids, it looked wonderful and fun and could we please buy it. :)

I find your comment very condescending.

Here is why we study composers and their compositions:

In music study we are building the principle of attentiveness and good observation. The goal is not to have children who can give a lecture on music theory. It is to have children learn to enjoy classical music and tell one piece from another just as naturally as they learn the difference between, say, The Farmer in the Dell and When the Saints Go Marching In - because they are both familiar with and fond of what they are hearing.

The more they are exposed to good literature, the better they get at reading the themes and language of literature. In art and music, the more they are simply exposed to pictures and music, the more they learn to 'read' the themes of the world's classic compositions.

With reading we don't begin with the mechanics, the grammar and punctuation, nor we do we begin with a biography of Beatrix Potter before we read Peter Rabbit. With music, we should begin in much the same way - with simple exposure. Our children may read and be familiar with Beatrix Potter's children's stories for years before we would move on to Shakespeare, biographies, the history of "English Literature." So they can simply play around with music, listening to it, plinking away on musical instruments without being burdened with facts about the lives of composers, music theory, technique, and composition.

In other words, those of us who do nothing much more than play the tapes and CDs, occasionally humming along, of each term's composers, need not feel guilty. =) You might try leaving the radio on your classical music station sometimes (we do this) and after a while you too will know the delight of hearing one of your children say, "Mom! That was Faure'!" And then you can know the humility of having to say, "who?" =)

-from AmblesideOnline.org

In the end, it is to enrich our children's lives, to expose them to the good and worthwhile while they are still young. I'm not trying to raise musical prodigies, although it has enhanced my dd's love of music greatly.

I am sorry. I didn't mean to be condescending. I just stated that if you wanted your kids to remember the melody to identify the song, this was a good method. I personally can't get jingles out of my head once they are in there, so for me, this is not good. I don't want to remember silly songs with my classical music. I feel like I just got my hand slapped for a differing opinion.

Paula

Why oh why did I have to read this thread?! I was going along peacefully, ignoring this thread, not having a clue what Themes to Remember was, and sure it was something I'd not be interested in. Then, something happened and I clicked. :glare: :D

My girls were looking over my shoulder as I was checking it out, and now I am 56 dollars poorer. They said they didn't care if it was for younger kids, it looked wonderful and fun and could we please buy it. :)

I'm so sorry! I'm sure you'll enjoy it though! :w00t:

Angela

I am sorry. I didn't mean to be condescending. I just stated that if you wanted your kids to remember the melody to identify the song, this was a good method. I personally can't get jingles out of my head once they are in there, so for me, this is not good. I don't want to remember silly songs with my classical music. I feel like I just got my hand slapped for a differing opinion.

Paula

You were stating a fact. I don't know why you got your hand slapped either.

I'm on the fence about Themes to Remember. The kids enjoyed Vol. 1, but whatever song they made all spooky, they will always think of as a spooky song. I don't know that the song was originally intended to be about ghosts & goblins. (Maybe the TG would get into that). Plus I think there were some "bad words" in one of the volumes. I don't remember the details, but I remember I was quite surprised.

:glare:

Paula

I've had Themes to Remember for a couple of years and you're right on - the silly jingles can get stuck in your head and that's how you'll remember the song. It's still a good program with or without the TtR CD.

So the lyrics are about a minute long and than the song continues without lyrics?

There are 2 tracks for one song. The first track plays for about a minute without the lyrics. Then the next track a man introduces the song, "Spring from the Four Season's by Vivaldi, then the music with the lyrics come on.

My children LOVE Themes to Remember 1 and 2. We do not have formal lessons but it is all I play in the van (drives dh nuts :lol:). My three year old dd can recognize the Nutcracker and tell it's composed by Bekovsky!! (Tchaikovsky). PLUS: March of the Marionette by Gounod, Lullaby by Brahms, and some others by Bach!! Oh, oh! Can't forget Sleeping Beauty by Bekovsky! :tongue_smilie: I don't want to leave out ds 7: he can name almost all of the composers. They hum classical music all day long.

Thanks Jessica for putting it on your blog.

So the lyrics are about a minute long and than the song continues without lyrics?

What I mean is that the portion of the song that is covered in Themes to Remember is very short. A short segment of the actual entire composition.

For instance,

Vivaldi's Spring Concerto is part of a larger composition called The Four Seasons which runs over an hour long I believe. Themes to Remember only has words & music for a small portion of the Spring concerto, so you aren't even close to spoiling the entire piece with the small portion of music they give words too - which of course you don't even have to use that track on the cd, you can just use the track without the words.

Blessings,

Angela

What I mean is that the portion of the song that is covered in Themes to Remember is very short. A short segment of the actual entire composition.

For instance,

Vivaldi's Spring Concerto is part of a larger composition called The Four Seasons which runs over an hour long I believe. Themes to Remember only has words & music for a small portion of the Spring concerto, so you aren't even close to spoiling the entire piece with the small portion of music they give words too - which of course you don't even have to use that track on the cd, you can just use the track without the words.

Blessings,

Angela

Ds 7 told me the other day. I want to listen to the whole song. "Can we buy the Cd for the WHOLE song? I can't wait to hear the whole thing!" LOVE. IT.

Ds 7 told me the other day. I want to listen to the whole song. "Can we buy the Cd for the WHOLE song? I can't wait to hear the whole thing!" LOVE. IT.

That's awesome! My kids felt the same way. Thankfully, DH is a classical music buff so we had the entire Four Seasons composition on disc already, but whatever we don't have we should be able to get from the library relatively easily.

Blessings,

Angela

That's awesome! My kids felt the same way. Thankfully, DH is a classical music buff so we had the entire Four Seasons composition on disc already, but whatever we don't have we should be able to get from the library relatively easily.

Blessings,

Angela

Which CDs would you recommend? There's just so many to choose from. Dh is NOT a classical music buff. :D

Which CDs would you recommend? There's just so many to choose from. Dh is NOT a classical music buff. :D

DH is the buff, so I know NOTHING! :D

Honestly, I would go with whatever is free from the library first. However, if you would like I'd be happy to ask DH what he recommends. Also, I believe that Jessica had some suggestions on her website as well (the link is in my original post, I think).

Have a great day!

Angela

We love the Themes to Remember here too. As far as the catchy tunes,-- a few days ago we were in the dentist waiting room listening to the overhead music. I could see in dd face she was singing in her head the words from Themes that say "this music is by Vavaldi" The look on the mans face next to me was beyond priceless when 5 yr dd turned to me and stated "mom isn't this Vivaldi?" Why yes homeschooled kindergirl, it is! Again as Jessica stated, the lyrics are not goofy but sometimes historical explanations (such as talking about a fireworks show gone bad during a performance, historically- there was a fireworks show gone bad when the song was originally performed for the king)

Btw, my kids BEG to listen to the VOX Music Masters CDs. We got them from Rainbow for $3.50 each!. Check them out.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1220532632-1208698&subject=17&category=5644

If link doesn't work, they are listed under Music Masters.