Menu

Best sharpeners for colored pencils

We use prismacolor, crayola and Faber Castell regular colored pencils. We also use the thick Ferbys often. Could you recommend good sharpeners for both of these types of colored pencils? Until recently, I did not know that there was a separate type of sharpener for colored pencils only  :blink: I used to sharpen all our colored pencils to a long pointy tip. No wonder there are no upcoming artists in my family! TIA.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been meaning to post for days, but this is genius! We switched to using the fat hole of our handheld sharpener right after I read this since we had been having major lead breakage with our nice colored pencils. Wow...amazing!! Thank you so much for the tip.

Here's kind of the funny part. I had thought of this many times, but never allowed myself to try it because the fat hole didn't match the size of our skinny colored pencils.  :001_rolleyes:

We use the fat part of a sharper for all pencils even skinny ones. My tip is to use one kind. If you use an electric and then handheld you risk breaking leds.