Menu

Home Art Studio...which levels?

mmasc

I've been looking at this since seeing it recommended on this board.  I've looked at it online and we have tried one of the free lessons.  We did the Op Art from Grade 3.  The kids all loved it.  My DSs are 4, 6, and 9.  All of them love art projects, but I wouldn't say any of them are particularly gifted in drawing.  After reading some posts on this forum, I thought I'd just go with the Kindergarten level.  However, I saw on homeschool buyers coop that you can get a great price by buying 3 levels.  So my question is:  Should I just go ahead and get the first three (K, 1st, and 2nd)?  Or, get them more specific to my kids' grade levels since I'm buying 3? (It would be 1st, 4th, and I guess K)  To be clear, I have no intention of running three art programs at once, we'd all be doing the lesson together, or I'd let DS9 go at it alone if he wanted.  :lol:

I've been looking at this since seeing it recommended on this board.  I've looked at it online and we have tried one of the free lessons.  We did the Op Art from Grade 3.  The kids all loved it.  My DSs are 4, 6, and 9.  All of them love art projects, but I wouldn't say any of them are particularly gifted in drawing.  After reading some posts on this forum, I thought I'd just go with the Kindergarten level.  However, I saw on homeschool buyers coop that you can get a great price by buying 3 levels.  So my question is:  Should I just go ahead and get the first three (K, 1st, and 2nd)?  Or, get them more specific to my kids' grade levels since I'm buying 3? (It would be 1st, 4th, and I guess K)  To be clear, I have no intention of running three art programs at once, we'd all be doing the lesson together, or I'd let DS9 go at it alone if he wanted.  :lol:

I would definitely get K, 1, and 2 and start from the beginning and all work together.  Your 9 year old will have fun with the K level just as well...and my guess is that he wouldn't want to miss out on K - 3 anyway (if you started him with 4).

• Like 4

One reason I like Home Art Studio is because a lot of the projects can double as history projects. If you buy multiple levels, you could always pull by project, rather than completing one level start to finish. I actually chose grade one this year because there were more projects that fit what we are studying in history. Grade two would be great for Medieval Times. I also love that HAS allows for greater creativity than say Atelier.

• Like 1

One reason I like Home Art Studio is because a lot of the projects can double as history projects. If you buy multiple levels, you could always pull by project, rather than completing one level start to finish. I actually chose grade one this year because there were more projects that fit what we are studying in history. Grade two would be great for Medieval Times. I also love that HAS allows for greater creativity than say Atelier.

Nice! I didn't even know that about the videos! Now I'm even more excited to get them. :)

I am wondering about one thing I couldn't get a feel for by watching the free lessons. Maybe you all could chime in. Is there a good mix within EACH level of paint, markers, colored pencils, cutting, etc? I definitely like the 'room for creativity'. I have a DS9 who wants step by step instruction, and a DS6 who will watch the instruction of something/anything, then he's going at it with an 'I've got this' attitude. :)

Grade one has a lot of mixed media projects...some combination of painting, cutting, gluing and drawing (even if it's just drawing a straight line with a ruler or a triangle to cut out). What I like about mixed media is that each part is its own mini project, so there's less chance for a complete and total mess-up. With Atelier, projects relied heavily on a permanent black marker. Ugh. You mess up with that thing and your project's ruined. Grade one uses a nice assortment of tempera, water colors, color pastels, etc.

By the way, the Home Art Studio supply list states water colors in tubes. Skip those and buy water colors already in the trays. That's what the lady uses on the videos. I've never been able to figure out the exact amount of water needed for mixing from the tubes and they don't explain it on the videos.

I just ordered levels K, 1, and 2 from homeschool buyers co-op. I'm so excited! Thank you for all of your replies helping me with the decision. I'm off to look at the supply lists now! Thank you pitterpatter for letting me know about the water colors. I've never had the tube ones, so it's good to know I still don't need them. :)

Grade one has a lot of mixed media projects...some combination of painting, cutting, gluing and drawing (even if it's just drawing a straight line with a ruler or a triangle to cut out). What I like about mixed media is that each part is its own mini project, so there's less chance for a complete and total mess-up. With Atelier, projects relied heavily on a permanent black marker. Ugh. You mess up with that thing and your project's ruined. Grade one uses a nice assortment of tempera, water colors, color pastels, etc.

By the way, the Home Art Studio supply list states water colors in tubes. Skip those and buy water colors already in the trays. That's what the lady uses on the videos. I've never been able to figure out the exact amount of water needed for mixing from the tubes and they don't explain it on the videos.

OK, I'm back with more questions. :)  I'm looking at the K list and it shows the little cakes of watercolor.  The first grade shows the tubes like you mentioned.  Will the normal, old Crayola watercolors from Target work?  Or is there something I should be looking at on Amazon? Or Hobby Lobby?  I know we're talking K/1 art here, but if I'm buying all this stuff, I at least want to get decent stuff.  :tongue_smilie:

Also, should each child (I have 3) have his own pad of paper (smooth and watercolor), or does the teacher tear the sheets out so it doesn't really matter?

My DS9 HATES sharing art supplies with his younger, "I like to mix everything together" brothers, so I'm trying to get what's needed, without breaking the bank.

Thanks!

OK, I'm back with more questions. :)  I'm looking at the K list and it shows the little cakes of watercolor.  The first grade shows the tubes like you mentioned.  Will the normal, old Crayola watercolors from Target work?  Or is there something I should be looking at on Amazon? Or Hobby Lobby?  I know we're talking K/1 art here, but if I'm buying all this stuff, I at least want to get decent stuff.  :tongue_smilie:

Also, should each child (I have 3) have his own pad of paper (smooth and watercolor), or does the teacher tear the sheets out so it doesn't really matter?

My DS9 HATES sharing art supplies with his younger, "I like to mix everything together" brothers, so I'm trying to get what's needed, without breaking the bank.

Thanks!

You can use regular watercolors, like Crayola.  You will be tearing the sheets of paper out, so they don't each need their own pad (although you may want more than one of each pad if you are stocking up for all 3 art levels).  

Although you could use any tempera paint...I recommend the RAS paints from Jerry's (I see Amazon has them too, but I have not compared prices).  They are so nice...vivid, creamy, and thick.  I also really like the First impressions Color Art Markers (1st & 2nd grade Level)...Ms. Volin calls them "juicy", and I agree.  And the First Impressions Kids Round (and flat) Chubby Paint Brushes for Kids 10 Pack (K Level).  

• Like 1

You can use regular watercolors, like Crayola.  You will be tearing the sheets of paper out, so they don't each need their own pad (although you may want more than one of each pad if you are stocking up for all 3 art levels).  

Although you could use any tempera paint...I recommend the RAS paints from Jerry's (I see Amazon has them too, but I have not compared prices).  They are so nice...vivid, creamy, and thick.  I also really like the First impressions Color Art Markers (1st & 2nd grade Level)...Ms. Volin calls them "juicy", and I agree.  And the First Impressions Kids Round (and flat) Chubby Paint Brushes for Kids 10 Pack (K Level).  

Great!  Thank you so much!  That's exactly what I needed to know.

• Like 1