Menu

Favorite "Where Do Babies Come From" Picture Books

I'm looking for a book on a young elementary level (comprehension level more than reading level) that covers fetal development (using the correct terms like fetus and placenta) and that briefly and matter of factly introduces intercourse/ejaculation as how the sperm meets the egg.  The book could be entirely non-fiction or accurate information presented in a "My name is Billy and my mom is having a baby..."  kind of way.

With a topic like this, I'm planning on pre-reading everything, but it would help to start with a list of likely contenders.

Which are your favorite "Where Do Babies Come From" picture books?

I don't often recommend this book because of the fact that it IS very detailed. It is one of our favorites, uses correct terminology with the right amount of detail and explicit language, without being too graphic.

I think Alex is just a bit younger than Peter?, but from your posts think this might be more along the lines of what you are lookinng for. We also watched the PBS Miracle of Birth documentary and a couple others.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JQTO94Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1424721657&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=my+mom+is+having+a+baby

I got one from the library called 'Everyone Has a Bellybutton' that was nice, but not nearly as detailed...

ETA: the video we enjoyed was actually NOT the Miracle of Life one when I just checked, but rather is called 'Life's Greatest Miracle', which is a NOVA/PBS documentary.

When I was 8 and my mom was pregnant with my brother, my grandmother gave me a copy of "Where Did I Come From?"  It is a very frank explanation of sex and how babies are made. I remember it including a couple of cartoony yet accurate drawings of of a naked man and woman, and of sex. As I recall, my mother was not particularly pleased that my grandma had given it to me, but that was more because she did so without warning or asking my mom first, rather than because the book itself was not a good one. :)

When I was 8 and my mom was pregnant with my brother, my grandmother gave me a copy of "Where Did I Come From?" It is a very frank explanation of sex and how babies are made. I remember it including a couple of cartoony yet accurate drawings of of a naked man and woman, and of sex. As I recall, my mother was not particularly pleased that my grandma had given it to me, but that was more because she did so without warning or asking my mom first, rather than because the book itself was not a good one. :)

This is what DH and I both read as kids and what he went through with our oldest a few years ago.

When I was 8 and my mom was pregnant with my brother, my grandmother gave me a copy of "Where Did I Come From?"  It is a very frank explanation of sex and how babies are made. I remember it including a couple of cartoony yet accurate drawings of of a naked man and woman, and of sex. As I recall, my mother was not particularly pleased that my grandma had given it to me, but that was more because she did so without warning or asking my mom first, rather than because the book itself was not a good one. :)

We have this book sitting around somewhere, so I suppose I can't be too hard on it, but I find the illustrations pretty creepy, and there's a lot of criticism in the amazon reviews about the male-centric attitude towards sex. I doubt I would choose to buy it (we got it as part of a box of hand-me-down books).

We got the book A Child Is Born when pregnant with my last baby. It's not a picture book, but has a lot of gorgeous photos. Though apparently the fetuses pictured are not actually alive. You can't tell that from the pictures, but if the idea would disturb you too much to find out, better to know up front and avoid it.

We used The Wonderful Way Babies are Made.

We used this too, nicely done. I also used an Usborne science book where they used drawings of machines to illustrate how intercourse works. I can't remember the name of it, but it was in Sonlight's Level C science...not sure if it still is. I know people complained about it but I kind of liked the approach...

Found an old SL catalog in my drawer, it was The Usborne Book of Knowledge. It may well have been updated by now, this was about 10 years ago! There were only 2-4 pages on reproduction, so it may not be worth it unless you want an overall science resource.